Tuesday, August 15, 2017

White Food Bad Food Great Tasting Food

The title summarizes my sentiments. White processed food tastes yummy but is bad for the body.

White food was not always bad, and unprocessed white food like onions, cauliflower and white beans are good for us. But over the decades manufacturers managed to suck good nutrients out and replace with bad ones, adding ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup, food coloring, and hydrogenated oils.

I did not realize how much my eating habits changed over the years until my grandson visited. We – hub and I - consume only a small amount of white processed foods at home. We dine out regularly, however, and the trouble with eating out is that undisclosed ingredients can ruin the illusion of healthy eating. And chances are we never know about the bad stuff: chemicals, artificial ingredients, manmade foods, all of which might enhance the taste of a dish but are not beneficial for our bodies.

My grandson likes to cook and has specific ideas about what he likes and refuses to eat, so hub and I indulged.

One night he cooked Crispy Garlic Parmesan Chicken with Zucchini. Sounds good for you. So I thought, until collecting ingredients needed.

The only reason I had white flour in the house was because earlier in the summer my granddaughter visited and we made play dough. Main ingredient: white flour. I purchased a small bag for the craft project. (The play dough came out great!)

 The chicken recipe called for eight tablespoons of butter. Butter is not technically white, ranging in color from dark yellow to almost white. My no salt butter sported a pale yellow hue. I don’t use eight tablespoons of butter in months. I rarely use butter.

The recipe specified soak chicken pieces in butter, then coat with bread crumbs.

No bread crumbs in my house, but the grocery store carried several brands.

My refrigerator supplied lots of zucchini thanks to my CSA.

The chicken and zucchini tasted wonderful, but I know I did not do my heart or waistline any favors.

One morning we made pancakes. We could have found a recipe using whole-wheat flour and other healthy ingredients, but my grandson would not have eaten them. The Original Pancake recipe included: white flour, baking powder (white), salt (white), white sugar, milk (white), eggs (partially white), and butter (pale yellow – almost white).

An old-fashioned goody, but…

Another night we made potatoes. White potatoes. Another unhealthy choice.

White potatoes are high in the type of carbohydrates the body digests rapidly, causing blood sugar and insulin to soar and then drop. Long term, a diet high in this type of food contributes to obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. Potatoes rank high on the culprit list. 

I love French fries and mashed potatoes.

Uh oh…

We made ice cream. Luckily the flavor of choice was peanut butter, not my favorite. I did not taste, so missed another dose of white stuff: milk, cream, and sugar.

My grandson went home, and hub and I resumed a healthier diet.

Next week we grandsit the kids for a week.

Our healthy diet, I fear, will be short-lived. 

6 comments:

  1. Meryl, DH and I try to eat healthy... only fresh fruit and veggies, no canned or frozen, some meat, but mostly chicken and fish. And we only use brown rice and whole wheat bread and spaghetti. But we DO use unsalted butter and olive oil... and white flour when cooking or baking. I hope you enjoyed your grandson's cooking. I believe that eating off your normal grid 'on occasion' won't hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the processing that food goes through does not add value. It is too easy to trade natural and healthy for convenience and a meal on the table in fifteen minutes or less. Too many have become addicted to salt and sugar. I try for the best quality whole foods and seasonal variety, but I am certainly glad I don't have a family to feed every day. I don't know how families can afford to eat, let alone eat well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the challenge of catering to those with different food tastes -- especially the young ones. A week or two off your healthy died will, hopefully, not have serious long term health deficits .... or will it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree ... but have to come to the defense of the potato. My ancestors survived on potatoes. And in our family we had potatoes every night for dinner ... and my parents lived to 89 and 91! P.S. My dad never put butter or sour cream (that's the stuff that's bad for you, he claimed) on his baked potato, just a little salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me think about how seldom I eat really bad white food. But I love butter and slather it on lots of otherwise healthy food. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for this your broadcast provided bright clear concept..
    หนังตลก

    ReplyDelete