Thursday, July 20, 2017

Get Your Senior Park Pass Now!

For me summer, spring and fall are ideal seasons to enjoy the outdoors. Lathering up with 30+ sunscreen, donning appropriate loose clothing (since I am no longer a teenager, twenty- or thirty-something devoted to figure-hugging clothing) and comfy shoes, I venture outside to walk, hike, kayak, raft, ride horseback, ride my bike, garden, mountain climb, swim, lounge, take a scenic drive...Actually I don’t do all these activities, or most of them, but the idea at times crosses my mind.

My winter persona.
Hardy souls explore during the white season of winter, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing (so people tell me. Personally ‘enjoying the outdoors’ and ‘cold weather’ do not mix well.) The rest of us seniors, primarily retirees who are not cold weather fans, flee northern climes for a brief respite or the entire season. We throw off layers of clothes, bask in the warm sun, and discover southern regions, places too hot in summer’s sizzling sun and heat, but ideal winter getaways.

Under the umbrella of the National Park Service and other U.S.
Big Bend National Park, Texas
agencies, vast regions of the country are ours to enjoy. Sometimes too many visitors converge on breathtaking scenery, campsites and park roads, but that makes it more imperative to visit off season – anytime but summer, when families converge and take over.

Seniors (over the age of 62) can enjoy these national treasures for a pittance - a word I don’t think I ever used before - but one that describes the cost to individuals of the gift the country bestowed on its elders.

For the bargain price of $10 a lifetime pass can be purchased from the National Park Service offering free admission to over 400 sites.

Hub and I purchased a pass a couple of years ago and have used it several times, including Big Bend National Park in Texas, Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas, and the Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Preserve not far from our New Jersey home. One pass is good for a couple, or as the Park Service defines it, one pass owner and an accompanying passenger.

The price of the pass increases to $80 beginning August 28th.

The $10 passes are available until August 27th at National Park sites listed on the National Park websitePasses are also available online and by mail for an additional $10. The government website warns there is a high demand (everyone purchasing before the deadline), so if interested act NOW.

For more information check out this website.

Uncle Sam does not often provide wonderful things at a bargain price. The National Park Senior Pass is an exception. If unsure if you will ever use it, check out the list of places where you can use the pass. One or more interesting sites may be near you. Take advantage and check it out!
Everglades National Park, Florida
White Sands National Monument, New Mexico

7 comments:

  1. I picked mine up on a trip to my daughter's in New Jersey. What a deal! So glad you're spreading the word, particularly since the price will soon skyrocket (defeating the whole idea, in my humble opinion).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got mine already! I've wondered if I should buy a second one just in case. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've used ours all over and it is indeed a bargain. It'd still be a bargain at $80 if you visited enough parks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great deal. I got mine years ago in the Shenandoah National Park. I think you could get a Senior Golden Age Pass at 62 then. What a bargain it has been. Don't miss the chance! =^..^= Cheers from hillsmom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got mine at the Grand Canyon a cpl of years ago ... agree it's a great bargain, and usually a great experience as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After seasonal visits to various parks, the last time years ago that we visited one of my favorites, Grand Canyon, we were surprised and delighted to be given a lifetime pass as we drove into the Park. Ironically, circumstances after that became such that we never had an opportunity to use that pass. The Parks are a true U.S. treasure we thoroughly enjoyed visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate spam when I was growing up, but as an adult I have resisted ever eating it again. I do know people who love it, though. They can have it. :-)


    ผลบอลพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete