Saturday, January 7, 2017

Let it Snow!


The first fall of snow is not only an event,
 it is a magical event. 
You go to bed in one kind of a world 
and wake up in another quite different, 
and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?
- J. B. Priestley
The first weekend of 2017 ushered in bitter cold and the first snow of the season. It may be the only snow this winter – our now pristine-white corner of the Jersey shore does not receive copious amounts of snow. 

When the snowfall ended, more than 10 inches of feathery white stuff covered my world. Hub and I hibernated most of the day, reading, doing laundry, watching TV, carefully avoiding political broadcasts - instead watching old movies, including the iconic The Maltese Falcon.

By mid-afternoon the pull of falling snow became irresistible. And although the refrigerator was well stocked, we decided to venture out for lunch. A call to an Italian restaurant about four blocks away reassured us our dining destination was open.

It took more than a few minutes to suit up – long underwear, pants, thermal Vermont sweatshirt, ski jacket, gloves, boots…I was exhausted before setting foot outside.

The local temperature registered 22 degrees. Weather.com indicated the wind chill made it feel like 9 degrees.

Tentatively setting foot outside, walking slowly to (hopefully) avoid falling on ice beneath the snow, we found ourselves alone on a deserted, silent street. Approaching the main road, an occasional car passed. The sidewalks were devoid of pedestrians. Most businesses closed by noon.

On the way home I took my gloves off to take pictures, but after a couple of shots my hands got so cold I had to put the gloves back on. No more pictures.

Returning home I peeled off the layers, donned my stay-at-home outfit of sweatpants and sweatshirt and returned to my comfy couch. As long as I avoid the constant news rants about DJT, I am a happy hibernator. I may remain in hibernation until Inauguration Day. 2021.

Falling Snow
Amy Lowell
The snow whispers around me 
And my wooden clogs 
Leave holes behind me in the snow. 
But no one will pass this way 
Seeking my footsteps, 
And when the temple bell rings again 
They will be covered and gone.


3 comments:

  1. Yeah, that romance of the first snow gets really old. really fast when you get to my age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful it all is! So glad you got a chance to get out in it, so you could return home and enjoy it all the more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember well the beauty and fun of venturing out into the fresh snowfall. Key to full appreciation is being dressed to be warm and dry. Not so much fun was having to drive to work in it, zero and below temps -- and then, the slush and freezing when it starts to melt. But...I still love the memory of looking out the picture window while I was warm and cozy inside viewing the new snow.

    ReplyDelete