Sunday, September 18, 2016

Where in the World Would I Go?

I usually pass over the countless quizzes confronting me as I peruse Facebook, but one quiz recently caught my eye.

Titled If Trump is Elected, Where Should You Move?, the nineteen questions narrow down the 150+ countries in the world to the one that suits an individual perfectly.

The questions do not cover what I consider important considerations like climate, cost of living, or whether or not a person speaks the language, but include a variety of philosophical and political concerns, such as diversity and government intervention.

Where, according to the survey, should I move should Trump be elected President?

Spain.

Not a bad choice, although I have not visited the country. It is on my bucket list. I speak a little Spanish. I love the food. I can order meals at a restaurant, buy food in a grocery store, and ask directions. I may not understand the directions given, but with immersion in the country and language that might come eventually too.

Hub took the quiz also. The country recommended for him after January, 2017, should Trump be elected President?

Japan.

Hub faces a number of problems with Japan. He does not speak one word of Japanese. The cost of living is high. He is not fond of sitting or lying on the floor, and when he gets down, has trouble getting up again. He likes Japanese food, but doubts he will enjoy the cuisine three meals a day, everyday.

Should we become ex-pats we will not see our families frequently, but mine will probably visit and stay a while, knowing how fond they are of Trump.

If hub moves to Japan and I relocate to Spain, we will not see each other very often since the countries are on opposite sides of the world. Transportation costs would be exorbitant.

I invited him to move to Spain with me, and he is considering the possibility. He may not be as happy as if he ventured to Japan, but we would be together. The cost of living is reasonable and the climate, food, and accommodations probably to our liking.

I am not sure we would sell our house or rent it while gone. Who knows what will happen by 2020? We might want to return home and celebrate, or not, depending how much damage four Trump years does to the country.

Should you wish to contemplate alternative places to live after November 8, the quiz is here.

Meanwhile I am going to begin brushing up on my Spanish.

13 comments:

  1. I also got Spain on that quiz. While I would love to visit, I do hope we don't HAVE to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably have to go solo. I'm unsure of the affiliation this election of my Republican husband. We've been avoiding any political discussion around here like the plague. It could be the tipping point over which I question 47 years of marriage! :0{

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tread lightly! Try avoiding the talk until November 9, the day after the election.

      Delete
  3. I also got Japan. I don't speak the language, don't want to live in an earthquake-prone country, and I'm not sure about their accessibility for the disabled. Like Marty, I'd have to go solo. I am so disappointed in my husband's extremely conservative turn in the last 5-8 years, that I can hardly stand to discuss anything with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people become more conservative as they get older. I don't think it is only politics - people become less likely to try new things, accept new ideas, etc. Another symptom of aging.

      Delete
  4. Spain sounds wonderful... I'll have to take the quiz to see where I'll end up if, gulp, Trump wins. Western Canada is a possibility... I can speak the language and maybe we could just rent out our home for four years (or, until he's impeached or he quits because someone wasn't nice to him).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canada is an intriguing possibility, but I might have to be a snowbird, Canada in summer and somewhere in the Caribbean or Central America during the winter. I am becoming less tolerant of tcold as I age.

      Delete
  5. I took the test, but didn't finish b/c I didn't want to have them connect to my facebook page. So ... I guess I'll have to stay in America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to think positive about the election and won't want to move.

      Delete
  6. Interesting post. I don't take those Facebook quizzes either. So... hopefully all will work out for the best. Don't even want to think about it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be Canada for me. After all, it's only 20 miles to the border. :-)

    ReplyDelete