Monday, September 26, 2016

Surviving the Presidential Debate

As if the long, drawn out, excruciatingly painful Presidential campaign could not get worse, the American public will soon suffer experience 90 minutes of babble - the First Debate of the 2016 campaign.

The two candidates face off Monday night, September 26. I am not looking forward to the occasion, but will reluctantly watch. I do not want to miss whatever happens. It might be boring, it may produce quotes or pictures that will go down in history (positively or negatively), perhaps capture evil looks from the candidates, result in captivating dialogue, bitter verbal exchanges, or an incident no one can imagine beforehand.

Who wants to miss The Donald vs. She Who Would Be Our First Female President?

It will be difficult sitting through the entire spectacle. To make it more palatable, here are a few ideas to survive sanely.

Begin the following preparations a couple of hours before the debate begins:

Purchase a box of expensive chocolates.

Stock your freezer with your favorite ice cream.

Dress for the occasion in a comfortable ensemble – PJs, sweats, anything goes.

Fully charge electronic devices - phone, computer, iPad, etc.

Buy noisemakers. You might decide to support your candidate, or heckle the opposition.

Cook your favorite comfort dish, or order a preferred cuisine – Chinese, Italian, Thai, Japanese, Mexican – what a gastronomically diverse country we live in!

Collect items above and place within easy reach of your most comfortable chair.

Take a pill.

Pour a glass of your favorite wine, beer, or other libation.

Immediately before the debate begins:

Settle into your comfy chair.

Close your eyes, try to relax, take several deep breaths, breathe slowly in and out.

Turn on the TV; any channel. Almost every one plans to televise the debate.

If lucky you will fall asleep before the debate ends (or before it begins at 9:00 p.m. Eastern time), in which case everything missed can be seen and heard on multiple TV stations, the internet, newspapers, Twitter and all other social media outlets immediately after the debate as well as days, weeks, months and forever after.

If really smart you may skip the debate altogether and enjoy whatever activity you would do if not watching the debates.

And still indulge in the ice cream, chocolate, wine, and food. 

10 comments:

  1. I'm undecided about watching the debate. On one hand, I'd like to hear what they have to say on the issues... but on the other, I don't want to hear them taking the other person down. It's so disturbing and certainly doesn't help either of them. Most likely I will try to watch it. If it gets too nasty, then we'll just turn it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the debates. My blood pressure rose, but not dangerously.

      Delete
  2. My son and I are taking bets on who caves and goes to bed first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So who won!? I made it through the entire debate. I have stamina!

      Delete
  3. I watched the whole thing. Glad I did. I haven't changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I am in Israel, got up at 4 am to see Her and the Donald. Our media are treating these elections as if we were the 51st state. As a tax paying US citizen, I am voting and encouraging voting by the saner expats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad citizens of the world cannot vote in our election.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for that JO...voting is essential this time around!

      Delete
  5. For some weird unexplainable reason I am gleefully reveling in this whole election! I did not know I could endure quite as much as I have. It is just a lot of fun.

    I suppose fear will set in eventually but it hasn't yet. We will see.

    ReplyDelete