Friday, July 29, 2016

Donald Trump and his Co-Conspirators

The light at the end of the lengthy, unpredictable election year tunnel is in sight as the final round of the 2016 Presidential campaign begins.

Election Day – Tuesday, November 8, 2016

This election will be remembered as one of the most bizarre in American history, yet an important one determining the future of the country. I see the election as a choice between two very different visions: Does our nation forge ahead and tear down walls, or look back and build walls?

Full disclosure: I will vote to forge ahead.

The establishment has looked disbelievingly at the rise of Donald Trump, but I believe his ascendancy can be traced back to the rise of a co-conspirator of sorts.

The candidate’s window of opportunity began with the repeal of a federal regulation, the Fairness Doctrine, in 1987, requiring radio stations to provide free broadcast time for responses to controversial opinions previously aired. The repeal of the Doctrine permitted stations to broadcast editorial material without presenting opposing points of view.

Rush Limbaugh, a radio talk show host in Sacramento CA, declared himself free from the liberal media, moved to New York City and began his radio show, quickly gaining a national following. He is often rated the #1 radio talk show host in the country.

Limbaugh advocates conservative causes in an extremely heavy-handed, take-no-prisoners way, verbally abusing and pummeling adversaries professionally and personally. He repudiates one of the hallmarks of a vibrant democracy - compromise. Part of his modus operandi is delivering inaccurate statements. When the mistake is brought to his attention, Limbaugh professes a meek, half-hearted apology.

A direct line can be drawn from Limbaugh’s vitriol to the emergence of the current Republican Presidential candidate. Limbaugh, along with other conservative talking heads and Fox News (the number 1 network news station), encourages listeners to disdain alternative opinions and those advocating them.

I do not understand why so many people support a man with a history of shady business practices; a man who takes advantage of small businesspeople and workers; a misogynist; an individual with no qualms about dissing anyone–women, disabled, minorities, various religious groups; a man who refuses to disassociate himself from white supremacists and other hatemongers; a man capitalizing on people’s fears...I could go on and on, but what is the point? I understand people’s frustration with the system, but Trump offers nothing but bluster and empty promises.

I am not surprised Roger Ailes, a conservative Republican strategist and consultant before becoming head honcho of TV’s most notorious one-sided news venue, was fired resigned under a cloud (his demise had nothing to do with his political views but everything to do with sexual harassment allegations). Unfortunately I doubt Ailes’ departure will change Fox News' right-wing leanings or journalistic integrity. Fox works hard reshaping the news to fit a particular worldview, magnifying certain problems and demonizing the opposition. A PunditFact’s TV network scorecard found 60% of Fox News’ claims mostly false or worse. In comparison 44% of the news reported on NBC and MSNBC were mostly false or worse, and on CNN only 20% of reports were in some degree false.

The irony of Trump’s rise is that the Republican establishment is now sharply divided. Many politicians avoided the Republican convention and either refuse to back Trump or offer at best a lukewarm endorsement. A segment of the conservative media - individuals, organizations and websites - that previously adored Limbaugh now deride him for supporting Trump.

I look forward to the fun and games following the election that hopefully (wishful thinking on my part) result in a GOP Presidential defeat. 

Whatever your political leanings, there is one thing I am sure everyone can agree on–Election Day will not arrive soon enough.

18 comments:

  1. I agreed with every single statement here except the last.
    I'm looking at Election Day with an even balance of hope and trepidation. Trump as President is unthinkable but I'm so afraid it could happen that I'd like to put off elections like a trip to the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Waiting for the results on Election Day is going to be agonizing.

      Delete
  2. I am a life long Republican but this November I will be voting against Trump, not for Hillary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people feel as you do.

      Delete
  3. I'm horrified by Trump too, but Hillary in her own way is almost as bad. I'm not a Republican or a Democrat, though I voted for Bill Clinton twice. I can't believe that with more than 300,000,000 people in our country these are the 2 best candidates we can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac and Janet, don't believe the lies. Hillary is a very good person. Dianne

      Delete
    2. An individual must have a very tough skin to survive in politics. But I agree with Dianne - the anti-Clinton people have demonized her.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Wonderful post. You really did your homework. I am so happy I extracted myself from the Fox morass. we watched for years, because we were so upset about Hillary's defeat in 2008, and Fox hated Obama so much we almost got sucked under. I hope some of the Bernie supporters don't go the same way. Very scary network.

    ReplyDelete
  5. publish this article for wide distribution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, Meryl. I am appalled by Donald Trump and feel so strongly about the harm he would do to our country. And yes, I can't wait until election season is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everyone who feels the way we do votes.

      Delete
  7. I'm not a Hilary fan, but Trump scares the bejesus out of me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people echo your sentiments.

      Delete
  8. I find Donald trump just plain crazy as a bat..I watched him for years the way he talked and acted, he is just dreadful and I understand cheap as hell..Hillary on the other hand is being demonized like she is nuts or something, she could not have been the secretary of state and other positions and been bat crap crazy sure she has not done it right on the e-mail scandal but really she is a smart, tough woman, someone Donald trump could never ever stand to be around..I say vote for her and see how she does which it will not be a presidency of fear and loathing like Donald trumps office would certainly become..boo boo on djtrump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can only hope she gets the chance to shine as our President.

      Delete
  9. I've read many analyses of how and why Trumpism came to be and thrive. Yours is the best of the bunch. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete