Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Rock Stars Voice Our Story

 Commemorating the first Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony,
with abundant thanks and apologies to rock stars everywhere

I do not remember what I was doing Thursday evening, January 23, 1986. You Never Can Tell what happens day-by-day Living in America.

Come Rain or Shine, immersed in daily activities, running errands, scrambling to organize dinner, ensuring homework was completed, baths taken and enough laundry washed for the next day’s adventures, around my house there was always a Whole Lot of Shakin’ Going On.

That particular evening might have progressed something like this:

Rock and Roll Music blasted over the car radio as I made a couple of stops on my way home from work. The songs took me back years, stirring memories of good times, not so great happenings, and My Old Pal, because When You Got a Good Friend the world is a better place. We would don outfits such as Blue Suede Shoes, Hot Pants, and fitted tops edged with Chantilly Lace, borrow Dad’s car (NOT a cool Pink Cadillac) and proceed to the house of whoever was Having a Party, dancing the White Sox Stomp and Twistin’ the Night Away. Another Saturday Night flew by. Sometimes there was No Particular Place to Go, so we hung out at someone’s home gossiping and dreaming about finding our perfect Brown Eyed Handsome Man…

Walking into the house and greeted with “Mom,” my reverie broken, “I’m Walkin’ home from school tomorrow. By myself. OK?” My ten-year-old announced.

That’ll be the Day,” I answer, trying not to be sarcastic, “If you insist on walking, I Want to Walk You Home. No sidewalks much of the way and traffic. Best to take the bus. Think it Over,” stated as I haul food out of the refrigerator and place a couple of previously prepared dishes in the oven.

He pouted, but knew I was right.

“Mom, I need this shirt tomorrow,” second son states, holding out a grimy, soil-stained soccer shirt. “It’s still dirty.”

“Well why wasn’t it in the laundry basket? If you don’t put it in, Don’t Blame Me,” but headed for the laundry room and threw the shirt in the washing machine.

Hub walks in and smiles. “When Will I Be Loved?” he whispers in my ear.

I ignore him, “Got to get to my meeting tonight. Dinner in the oven. Oh by the way, need some Money HoneyMaybe Tomorrow,” referencing his remark and giving him a quick kiss as I edge out the door.

He throws out an ”Oh, Boy! Can’t Believe You Wanna Leave…”

“Love you, Always on My Mind.  Make sure the kids get to bed on time.”

Meanwhile…as I went about these mundane doings, songwriters, musicians, producers and other music industry professionals gathered in the Waldorf-Astoria Grand Ballroom in New York City. It was Rock & Roll Time as the first Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony made history.

As I drove out of the driveway that night, the landscape illuminated By the Light of the Silvery Moon, the music of my childhood and teen years blaring from the car radio, names, places, and events danced in my head, and continues reverberating today. Another Place Another Time, but sometimes it seems like yesterday.

**************
Italics above are songs recorded by the musical greats inducted into the Hall of Fame January 23, 1986. The songs (in the order mentioned above) are itemized below. The second list names everyone inducted that evening.

Never Can Tell – Chuck Berry
Living in America – James Brown
Come Rain or Come Shine – Ray Charles
Whole Lot of Shakin’ Going On – Jerry Lee Lewis
Rock & Roll Music – Chuck Berry
My Old Pal – Jimmie Rogers
When you Got a Good Friend – Robert Johnson
Blue Suede Shoes – Elvis Presley
Hot Pants – James Brown
Chantilly Lace – Jerry Lee Lewis
Pink Cadillac – Jerry Lee Lewis
Having a Party – Sam Cooke
White Sox Stomp – Jimmy Yancy
Twistin’ the Night Away – Sam Cooke
Another Saturday Night – Sam Cooke
No Particular Place to Go – Chuck Berry
Brown Eyed Handsome Man – Chuck Berry
I’m Walkin’ – Fats Domino
That’ll Be the Day – Buddy Holly
I Want to Walk You Home – Fats Domino
Think It Over – Buddy Holly
Don’t Blame Me – Everly Brothers
When Will I Be Loved? – Everly Brothers
Money Honey – Little Richard
Maybe Tomorrow – Everly Brothers
Oh, Boy! – Buddy Holly
Can’t Believe You Wanna Leave – Little Richard
Always on My Mind – Elvis Presley
Rock & Roll Time – Jerry Lee Lewis
By the Light of the Silvery Moon – Little Richard
Another Place Another Time – Jerry Lee Lewis

Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, Everly Brothers, Alan Freed, Buddy Holly, Robert Johnson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Sam Phillips, Elvis Presley, Jimmie Rogers, Jimmy Yancy.

4 comments:

  1. Clever post. My list begins with "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places" I can't forget the songs of the 1940s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever. I'm gonna have a few ear worms running thru my head today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-oh, got an earworm: Chantilly Lace won't leave! :-)

    ReplyDelete