Saturday, November 28, 2015

A Costco Virgin No More

I ignored Black Friday this year, as I do every year. The idea of driving in traffic, through and around traffic, and contributing to traffic to spend time jostling people to shop offers absolutely no appeal. But a few days before Black Friday hub and I ventured inside a Costco store. Not Black Friday, but close enough to qualify as a holiday shopping outing.

Hub had never set foot in a Costco store in his life. Sixty plus years old, he was a Costco virgin.

We belonged to BJ’s years ago, purchasing bulk food, household supplies and gas. At the time we occupied a house with plenty of storage space, including a basement and garage. Our current house, cottage, bungalow, however described, is small. Designed as a summer vacation cottage, there is minimal storage space. I have to be creative and shop often to keep adequate supplies in stock and not run out of necessities such as toilet paper. No Costco or similar store is nearby, but if one were next door we would not shop there. For the record, the closest Costco is 40 miles away.

We – hub and I – spent a few days with the kids in Vermont before Thanksgiving, often in the way but sometimes helping out. One of our tasks involved taking their car to the Costco Tire Store to have snow tires installed. The process involved an hour and a half wait, time not spent in the house underfoot!

The appointment was scheduled for 9:30 a.m. We arrived about 20 minutes early, unsure how long it would take from the house and leaving time to get lost and found again. We signed in the car, turned over the key, received a buzzer to alert us when the job was done, and walked over to the store entrance. We would spend the time wandering around and buying a short list of supplies requested by my daughter-in-law. 
Hub first in line to enter Costco!
No one else was around, but that did not last long. Shoppers filtered in, and by the time the store opened at 9:30 the line was out the door and around the corner.

 
Shoppers anxiously waiting to enter Costco. Shopping
carts were all in use when we exited the store.
Costco stores overwhelm. The warehouse layout, the mounds of merchandise, the large packages of foodstuffs like mayonnaise, ketchup, fresh pizzas and more awed hub. We slowly meandered up and down aisles. The space quickly filled with shoppers loading wagons with huge containers of everything.

I would not go so far as to say a Costco visit was on hub’s bucket list, but we can cross off another life experience, a trip not soon repeated. 

14 comments:

  1. I think i am probably done with my Costco days. Downsized storage space and a preference for small sizes when cooking for one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't say what you bought at Costco besides the tires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought chocolates for the new Mom, nuts, and a couple of other things I can't remember...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it interesting how much we change as we move through various stages of life? Even tho I love a bargain, there are times I'll pay a bit more for convenience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom was the queen of thrift, but I am sure a lot of her generation, growing up during the Depression, were just like her. I was very cost conscious when first married and when the kids were home. Now I also opt for convenience sometimes, and also splurge sometimes because I can.

      Delete
  5. I go to Costco maybe twice a year, but hubby does the bulk paper items there, and massive bottles of olive oil. It has been a long time since I've been any kind of virgin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Large packages and bottles of stuff are a good deal. I purchased pine nuts, an item I like but never buy because they are so expensive.

      Delete
  6. I went to Costcos years ago. Visited my first Target store this month. Don't like big box stores generally. I order bulk items from Amazon and let them do the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of wandering around big box stores either. Ordering online is a great way to go.

      Delete
  7. I have my costco card. We go there for paper goods, batteries, printer ink, dishwater soap, etc. Also, we like their chicken, salmon, bread, etc., (which we freeze) . My favorite part? The free food samples you get while walking around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hub enjoyed the food samples too. We have no space for all that stuff!

      Delete
  8. Oooh, I hate Costco, not the company as I gather they treat their customers and employees well, but as a place for a shopper like me. You see, we have a small house. No place to warehouse huge containers and packages. There are just two of us. We cannot eat our way through the large containers of food. Much of what Costco sells would spoil long before we consumed it. Nor do I want to pay a fee to go shopping. That irks me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Often you can get almost twice as much at Costco as at Target or Walmart on some items. If you can't use it all the local food bank can. Their clothes are great quality for a low price. The chicken is excellent. In Hawaii the lunch counter offers the best food value on any of the islands. Some of my friends coordinate their shopping and split the larger packages. Electronics are usually cheaper than even the sales at other stores and Costco adds a very inexpensive additional warranty. Their cell phone prices are limited in choice but what they sell is cheaper than Verizon or T-Mobile prices. Their selection of things is limited but they usually sell the most highly rated items at lower prices. Can you tell that I live two miles from a Costco so I know their prices well. Lastly OTC meds and hygiene supplies are a great bargain.

    ReplyDelete