Thursday, July 9, 2015

Flunking Dishwasher 101

I am not a technophile and have no interest in the latest electronic gadgets. Learning needed skills, new how-tos are apprehensively acquired only if the desire to do something new is overwhelming.

I am happy knowing less.

After all, less is more. Less frustrating time agonizing over the learning curve. More time accomplishing things, no aggravation, no hand wringing, no headaches.

It is comforting knowing some things in life, a few rare things, do not change, or change little over the years and decades. There are deeds repeated nearly my whole life without thinking, almost by rote, tasks I am capable and proficient at performing.

Like loading the dishwasher.

Wow, was I wrong and am I behind the times.

Apparently there are right and wrong ways to load a dishwasher, information discovered from an article in The Wall Street Journal. Dishwasher dilemmas are evidently as newsworthy nowadays as bankrupt countries and bombastic politicians. Couples actually fight over how to load the machine. Other individuals, attempting to avoid arguing over this petty issue, sneak into the kitchen and rearrange the dishes to their satisfaction.

Never crossed my mind to reorganize an unwashed load. If anyone in my family, or visiting friends and relatives, or workmen or women who happen to be around want to load my dishwasher, let them.

And if so inclined they can empty it too.

I was about ten when my parents purchased a dishwasher, a major event in our house. No more yelling and screaming about whose turn it was to wash the dishes.

I have been loading (and unloading) dishwashers for over fifty years, and must be doing something right. Cannot remember a problem. Dishes usually come out clean, except when sitting too long before running the machine.

The one time a cleaning cycle was interrupted occurred when suds starting foaming around the edges and seeping onto the kitchen floor. An unnamed member of my household poured dishwashing soap into the machine instead of dishwasher liquid. It took a long time to empty the machine of water and suds.

But the dishes turned out sparkling clean.

I worry about buying a new dishwasher when my current one dies. The latest models have so many options and buttons on the control panel the decision-making process seems mind-boggling. I already feel a headache coming on.

But questions remain about my current dishwasher. Should silverware be placed with handles up or down? Or arranged flat on the top shelf? I often rinse dishes before placing in the machine, but this is a dishwasher faux pas.

Life is getting too complicated.

Maybe I should wash dishes the old fashioned way, in the sink, by hand…

On second thought, it is worth the trouble and a few minutes contemplating these matters of so little consequence to me.

I will be deliberating on my couch, at least two remotes in hand, attempting to figure out the various features on my cable TV, which has just been upgraded, against my wishes, under duress, at the behest of the cable company.

It was so much easier years ago. One or two settings on the dishwasher, maybe a dozen TV stations.

No doubt about it. Less is more. Less hassle, less stress, more satisfaction. 

5 comments:

  1. I agree -- with the dishwasher dilemma and the cable overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I spent more time watching TV when I had a choice of three channels than I do now with more than I have bothered to count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I'm the dishwasher in the family I know all there is to know about loading a dishwasher (don't do dishes by hand; the dishwasher saves a lot of water). But when it comes to the three remotes for the TV ... I leave that to greater minds than my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll laugh, but my husband won't use the dishwasher as it's intended, but instead as a dish drainer. Dishes are washed and placed in there out of sight. The only time we get in an argument is if I actually want to RUN it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do dishes by hand. And I absolutely cannot figure out how to view a DVD or a video...it takes three remotes and if my husband isn't around I just don't bother.

    ReplyDelete