Thursday, June 25, 2015

Silver Lining

Sometimes I jump the gun, as the saying goes. I misspoke in a previous post, or more accurately mis-wrote, noting the disappointment in not shedding any weight after being sick for several days.

My lament was premature.

After losing fluids pumped into my body in the hospital, inflating my already expanded torso, and discarding additional ounces from barely eating for two weeks, the scales were, finally, kind to me.

The silver lining to my illness cloud.

A warning/disclaimer: this is not a weight-loss method recommended by me or anyone else. Rapid weight loss may result in euphoria, clothing not fitting, comments from family and friends, and a sense of fear that the weight will sneak back on. Check out this Wikipedia article for a more extensive list of weight loss issues. 

If the weight stays off, and maybe a couple more pounds drop from various parts of my still overweight body, it will be great.

According to my doctor’s scale I lost 9 pounds. My scale, a bit more conservative, registered 7 pounds down.

I happily accept either number.

But now the challenge begins.

First I should start exercising again. My mind tells me it must be done, but the body remains in denial, expressing tiredness, laziness, whatever…anything but eagerness to move.

Second, food intake must be monitored. Carefully watched. Too many trips to the ice cream parlor can prove devastating. Walking three blocks to the store and home again does not begin to negate the additional calorie intake, even when indulging in kiddie-size low-fat dishes.

I scoured youTube looking for the perfect summer song reflecting my mood right now, and almost posted a 1960s Spanky and Our Gang song, Lazy Day. But then I came across the following video. The song is titled Busy Doing Nothing (definitely mirroring my current state) from the movie A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court (1949) starring Bing Crosby, the lead crooner.

Old song, recent political pictures.

6 comments:

  1. If only we could lose weight by sleeping ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really not possible to out-exercise poor eating. That is for sure. Hope you find a way that is doable, long term. I know what works for me, and that's no grains, little sugar or processed foods. Seems radical, but really, it's the healthiest diet out there and it works. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please! What is all this fuss about diet and exercise. Look on line...all kinds of supplements you can take to shed pounds (some seven while you sleep, Tom, while you sleep!) without having to diet and exercise! And some of them even offer free samples so you can prove it to yourself!!
    ('Free' being strictly qualified by the fine print, but if you are worried about all that menopausal weight gain, your eye sight is probably not so good either.) You have mentioned weight loss desire a couple times now so I am sure you get the pop-ups. Let us know how it works out if you try any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The older I get, the harder it becomes to keep my weight where I want it to be, which is definitely not thin but keeping my BMI in the normal category. Congratulations on your weight loss, whatever the reason for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weight Watchers helped me and I've kept the forty pounds I lost off for a year now. It's a life-long effort. Yo-yo dieting is bad! Food has much more to do with weight than anything else, so develop good food habits and track what you eat. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may not have an admirable BMI, but I am fit. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete