Thursday, June 18, 2015

My Give-a-S**t Meter


 My give-a-s**t meter currently hovers near zero, a result of my recent illness.

Which, temporarily, is a good thing. There are a lot of people around my house now. One hub, three granddaughters, one son and one daughter-in-law. More descend beginning tomorrow.

My house has been taken over, but because my give-a-s**t meter idles near zero I do not care. Let everyone cook, let them play and run around my house.

My head is in the clouds, sort of, at least momentarily.

One day soon I will float back down to earth, look around, sigh, and begin reclaiming my house.

But not yet. I am content to let others take control.

I wonder what happens when others swoop down upon your home and start doing things. And looking for stuff…like cooking utensils, or scissors, or more toilet paper.

Is my home in a state of semi-organization that, with a bit of trying and ingenuity, items can be found? Are my drawers such a clutter it is difficult finding anything? I do not care, but the give-a-s**t meter on the healthy individual trying to find things might spike.

My closets are an unorganized mess, although I can usually find what I am looking for. Anyone else attempting to find whatever in any closet in my home may never be seen or heard from again, swallowed by the heap of stuff.

I guess this experience is a wake up call. Although I do not care people are using my house, I feel bad things are not exactly in good order.

Of course things could be worse. I like to look on the positive side…

So I guess the moral of this tale is that, although I may be satisfied with the state of my house, other people care about finding things around my house.

And a similar situation could happen again. So now  a massive home improvement project is on my agenda, not costing money but a big investment in time and energy.

I will begin when I am feeling better.

And my give-a-s**t meter begins moving again. 

8 comments:

  1. LOL! When you feel better and are ready for a challenge then you can attack a closet or drawer! However, if these were males looking for something I know from experience it can be on a shelf in plain site and they often can't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that same meter issue when I had pneumonia last winter. That's how I knew I was sick.

    Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see there's a flicker of hope. Nice post. Real writers don't do housework!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about cleaning out my own closet for awhile now, since there's stuff in there I haven't used in years and maybe someone else could use it. My give-a-sh*t meter must be revving up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son has just started his own business as a professional organizer. Hire one! He's too far off, I know, but it'd make somebody else's mom happy! And because I am this one's mother, and you did bring up the closets, I must post his link, in case someone reading your blog happens to be in Portland, OR: http://residenceeditors.com. Notice the literary tie-in? He's been a freelance editor for many years. Now he edits houses and small businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALL I could think about through this post and the last is how well you are handling being sick + being inundated with visitors.
    You are a mellow lady.
    By the way, may I say that in the last post you have the hands of a twenty-year-old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad I'm not the only one with a similar 'meter.' (and attitude. LOL) Sorry you have been ill. But when you are ready to tackle that decluttering, I highly recommend Marie Kondo's book. Not only did it transform my home, but me on the inside in the process. :)

    Due to blog trolls, I've moved and I'm now tucked away at: https://mysunnynook.wordpress.com/

    I'm bookmarking you! :)

    ReplyDelete