Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Happy Birthday Apple

Happy 39th birthday Apple!

On April 1, 1976, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak started Apple Computer. (No April Fools joke!)

And the rest, as the saying goes, is history.

The lives of millions of people in the U.S. and around the world changed forever when these two minds collaborated, creating one of the most successful companies in history.

Today millions use some kind of electronic device either created by Apple or produced by another company influenced by Apple. The company took the computer out of the office and placed it, as well as other electronic devices, into the hands of consumers. The gadgets became integrated into our everyday life.

I use a smartphone, an iPad and a Mac computer. Never owned an iPod, the device that revolutionized how people receive their music.

Decades ago hub and I purchased an early Apple. I loved it. Apple introduced the icon-driven interface. The user-friendly technology allowed everyone (non-techies) easy access to electronic devices. But PCs dominated the business world for decades. Apple took a back seat.

Fast forward and the time came to choose a computer I wanted. I chose a Mac and have not looked back. Then we bought an iPad. When my cell phone broke and the grandkids made fun of my ancient phone, I purchased a Smartphone because it synced with my other Apple devices.

Apple Inc. became branding and marketing geniuses.

How many folks remember the Apple commercial aired during the 1984 Super Bowl? It has become an iconic piece of advertising.

Do you remember who played in that game? Of course I had no idea. I am not a football fan. The Miami Dolphins played the San Francisco 49ers. The 49ers won 38-16. Apparently the Dolphins have not made a Super Bowl appearance since. But I digress…

The convention-shattering ad introduced the Apple Macintosh computer to the world. The ad was a take off of the George Orwell novel 1984. The Macintosh would free people from Big Brother, a veiled reference to IBM’s PC.

The one-minute commercial aired only once, during the third quarter of the game.

In case you missed it, do not remember the ad, or want to see it again, take a look:

Apple has had a rocky history, especially during a period in the 1990s when Jobs was not at the helm. But he returned and reinvigorated the company, introducing the iPod in 2001, then iTunes, the iPad, and the Smartphone in 2007.

Today Apple employs over 90,000 people. There are over 400 retail stores. 2014 revenue topped $180 billion. Apple ranks #15 on the Fortune Global 500 largest companies in the world (based on revenue) and ranks #5 in the U.S. 

Based on market capitalization on April 1, 2015, Apple is the #1 company in the world.  (Market cap is the total value of the company’s stock. Market cap = # shares X stock price).

Jobs died in 2011. Time will tell whether the company can continue innovating and dominating its field. 

4 comments:

  1. Yep, I love my Apple devices. I have an ancient iPod that is still going strong, a MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad. The kids at the high school, however, laugh at my ancient iPhone. It probably is time to upgrade, but they are soooo expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love my MacBook Air. So far i have not found the need for an iphone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, an iPhone 6, a MacBook Air, and an iPad. I recently sold my desktop, since I never used it any more. My Air is three years old this year, I may upgrade but for now, I'm content. It's not the same without Jobs, though. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recall that academics kept Apple products alive when Bill Gates tried to crush the company. I hate Bill Gates and monopolies in general, so I am an Apple fan.

    ReplyDelete