Monday, March 23, 2015

One Morning in the Life of a Procrastinator

Morning began with a 7:00 a.m. zumba class followed by a dash into the grocery store for a few food essentials. Then the plan was return home for a quick shower, a brief breakfast, and head off to a meeting.

My cell phone rang while grabbing groceries. I glanced at the name, the leader of the meeting I was to attend not too long after my food forage.

“Meryl, my street is in the process of being broken into pieces by the gas company. Workers set up cones at both ends of the street. I know you wouldn't have a problem parking a couple of blocks away and walking, but we have one person coming to the meeting recuperating from surgery. She can't walk far. So, “she continued breathlessly, “Can we meet at your house?”

“Sure, no problem,” I blurted.

“OK, I’ll tell the others and see you soon,” and hung up. The number of people, four or five, congregating in my cottage would not be a problem.

Then the real predicament hit me.

OMG!

My house was a mess.

The public areas were not up to hosting visitors.

And the reason - I am a procrastinator.

This trait particularly manifests itself when it comes to the condition of my home. I do almost anything else before cleaning, the task always moving to the bottom of my to-do list or until it is imperative the work gets done. 

Which was suddenly NOW.

I raced to the cashier, checked out, drove home and burst into the house. Hub was just beginning to awaken and greet the day following a night of blissful slumber.

I rudely interrupted his leisurely schedule.

“I have to clean. The meeting was moved here. Have to take a shower,” and sprinted into the bathroom, slamming the door and discarding gym clothes simultaneously.

Following a record short shower, I dressed (no time for makeup) and returned to the public spaces demanding attention.

People were coming.

Prepare.

I frantically ran around the dining area, kitchen, family room and powder room – anywhere people might wander.

Meanwhile hub surreptitiously disappeared.

I vacuumed, put away an assortment of kitchen paraphernalia concealing counters, checked the bathroom, cleared (in other words, placed out of sight) an assortment of newspapers, books and other items scattered throughout.

I should learn. Do not leave these tasks until the very last minute.

But I am a born procrastinator. We procrastinators think about doing things, plan on doing things, prepare to do things – but somehow often do not actually get around to DOING certain things.

Especially activities not exactly relished.

By the time the doorbell rang the house (public spaces only) was presentable enough that I was not totally embarrassed.

A couple of hours later the meeting adjourned, people left, and I decided to tackle my bedroom.

But first lunch…and I had not yet checked today’s e-mail…or scanned the headlines…

My bedroom and the accumulated chaos could wait. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow. I don't understand this on SO many levels:
    --Zumba at 7 in the morning? Is it even light then?
    --going to a store after Zumba but before a shower?
    --Procrastination? No weekly cleaning schedule?
    --newspapers in the bathroom?
    We live in completely different worlds. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the truth...I was brought up by a perfectionist (when it came to housekeeping) and I try to do my best, but when I walk into a less than tidy home, I breathe a sigh of relief. Because then I know when the owner of that home comes to my house, they won't expect perfection. Life gets messy and we all know it. Bet your friends were grateful for your hospitality--that's what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed at the hubby disappearing. You did a good job in a short period of time. It's funny, I look at my house so differently when somebody is going to be coming into it. When it's just the two of us, everything looks perfectly okay. My critical eyes are closed and my accepting eyes are open. Made me laugh with this one, Meryl. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't worry about a tidy house anymore. My house looks lived in, and it has been for almost 50 years. Life is too short to worry about appearances. Your friends won't mind and your enemies will always find fault no matter how hard you try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then there's Peg (THE I HATE TO COOK BOOK) Bracken's advice: When unexpected guests arrived and your house is a mess, let them in and exclaim, "I can't imagine who would've done this to us! We have no enemies!"

    ReplyDelete