Friday, February 6, 2015

Soft Outdoor Adventure For Me, Please

Sitting in a large comfy chair at the beauty salon, my hairdresser described recent ski outings with her grandkids. The next trip to the slopes, she promised her oldest grandson, we’d take snowboarding lessons.

Yes, she is planning on joining him.

Snowboarding is not on my bucket list. And I gave away my skis years ago. They were outdated anyway. Picturing myself zooming down a mountain – not because I want to, but because I lost control – the wind in my face, knees buckling, poles flailing wildly, sliding down partway on my butt, ending up plastered in a hospital bed (covered with plaster, not drunk, although getting drunk in the hospital sounds kind of appealing), is a situation easily avoidable by never skiing downhill again.

As I get older I find myself unwilling to tackle adventurous, possibly body-damaging activities.

Nowadays I opt for soft adventure-type outdoor pursuits, gentle on the bones and body of a 60+ grandma.

I am not the only one opting for ease. Tour companies advertise soft adventure trips for the 50+ crowd, realizing we are wary of a too-jarring bodily experience. And we enjoy our comfy conveniences.

My kind of soft adventure includes:

Cycling on level ground. Place a mountain, high hill or steep bridge in front of me, and I am not happy. And forget about mountain bike-type terrain. My bumpy-ride days are over.

Kayaking (row boats and canoes are OK too) on calm, flat water, no wind, the sun shining but not too hot. The best rides include a stop at a destination such as a cafe. Sit, relax, eat, drink (nonalcoholic beverage only – one should not drink and paddle).

Walking/hiking in sunny or slightly overcast weather, temperatures below 80 but above 50, on level terrain, a nice coffee shop halfway through a plus. No elevations, stairs or climbing please.

Swimming. I like to swim but fear being caught in public (and then on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or – heaven forbid – Youtube) wearing a bathing suit.

Running/Jogging. The last time I ran – I was late for a meeting – I tripped, fell, and chipped a tooth. Never again.

There are lots of other activities invented by people over the course of human existence. I conclude with my favorites…

Walking to a nearby restaurant.

Cooking and Eating. Probably the number one and two outdoor activities of all time as far back as cave people times.

Sitting. Always an appealing option. A comfortable chair, a drink within reach, a book in hand. Priceless…

No one ever said outdoor activity must involve exercise. 

7 comments:

  1. I stopped running years ago, but I still love hills and mountains and valleys to hike in. I hear you, though, about the trials and tribulations of aging, now that I'm actually aged! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must walk, jogging is not for me. Every time I see a jogger my knee twinges. I did walk the dog today, up the block and back. He told me it's tough to live with a 70+ grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your way with Soft outdoor Adventure – and I second that – have never been on skis (well I have on water skis but that’s different.) Sitting and reading a book is perfect …

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get it. When I was 22 I went skiing for the first time and I broke my leg. I stopped skiing because I was afraid to turn and I was afraid to fall. These days I start out walking but I meet people on the route and have conversations. They slow me down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, skiing is how I injured my knee in my early 20s. No way I'm doing that again... it still hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! I have never enjoyed winter so I have never been up on skis , and , at age 61, have no desire to do so.On the other hand,I LOVE kayaking, and I hope to try paddleboarding this spring.When you fall off a board it is only onto nice soft WATER!! LOL!!! Soft adventures are VERY adventurous if, like me, you have tended to be on the clumsy side of life. And a bookworm by nature! I have had to push myself to learn to be more physical, and I enjoy the adventures I undertake just as much as the outgoing,rugged rock climbers and sky divers enjoy theirs!! My goal is to keep MOVING and try new things from time to time, but not anything that might end up with a broken bone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! I have never enjoyed winter so I have never been up on skis , and , at age 61, have no desire to do so.On the other hand,I LOVE kayaking, and I hope to try paddleboarding this spring.When you fall off a board it is only onto nice soft WATER!! LOL!!! Soft adventures are VERY adventurous if, like me, you have tended to be on the clumsy side of life. And a bookworm by nature! I have had to push myself to learn to be more physical, and I enjoy the adventures I undertake just as much as the outgoing,rugged rock climbers and sky divers enjoy theirs!! My goal is to keep MOVING and try new things from time to time, but not anything that might end up with a broken bone!!!!

    ReplyDelete