Sunday, October 26, 2014

Best of Boomers on Living, Making New Friends, and Little-known Current Events

As Joseph Campbell once said, “People say that what we're all seeking is the meaning of life. I think that what we're really seeking is the experience of being alive.”  This week Kathy Gottberg on her blog SMART Living 365 asks and explores the question, “When was the last time you felt passionately alive?”  


Tom Sightings takes a look at The 1.7 Percent Solution. What's the 1.7 percent solution? You'll know in January, if you're on Social Security, when you find out how much you're getting next year in benefits.

While you may be completely sick of hearing bad news, Amy Blitchok from Modern Senior thinks there is one more police shooting that didn’t make national news, but deserves your attention. The result was the death of a 93-year-old woman in Hearne, TXVisit Modern Senior to find out what happened and why everything just doesn’t quite add up.


On The Survive and Thrive Boomer Guide, Rita R. Robison, consumer journalist, writes about a survey that found 42 percent of Americans probably won’t review a health insurance plan’s details before signing up. If consumers don’t compare plans, they may need to change doctors, pay more for fewer services, or have other problems. Comparing plans is important with open enrollment for Affordable Care Act starting in November and Medicare’s open enrollment for prescription drug plans (Part D) and Medicare Advantage plans running through Dec. 7.

Since moving to southern Colorado four months ago, Laura Lee aka the Midlife Crisis Queen has been trying to make new friends. Here's a post about her struggles to make new connectionsin a small town...

Meryl Baer of Six Decades and Counting spends a lot of time on the road exploring parts previously unknown, revisiting favorite haunts, and visiting friends and family scattered throughout the country. She often gets queries wondering why she is a regular road warrior. Read The Top Ten Reasons I Travel for her answers.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the interesting links. Some I already have read, but others I have not. How can the 1.7% SS increase be right? I think I pay more for my food now than ever! But I'll take whatever they give me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to change or at least study my Medicare Supplemental options; I hate the whole enterprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my day is going a lot better if I SKIP these boomer's "shares!!" LOL!! I liked the travel article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS:HAPPY news: My husband and I will be able to get an OBAMACARE policy for less than half what we are paying now, with MUCH MUCH MUCH better coverage, as of November 15! I have some classmates in my art class will not not even LOOK at the ACA Website because they are republican! One lady's husband is out of work, has chronic leukemia, and they have no insurance! GO LOOK,folks!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete