Tuesday, June 10, 2014

It Doesn’t Take Much to Make My Day

My bouquet
 My day did not begin well. The alarm rang a few minutes after 6:00 a.m., forcing me to open my eyes and acknowledge a new day before the rest of my body was ready.

Travel, babysitting, minor aches and pains, and laziness kept me from the gym for over a month. It was time to renew a relationship with my local fitness center.

Reluctantly rising from my warm, comfortable bed, I threw on some gym clothes and in less than 20 minutes was out the door.

I arrived at class a few minutes early and greeted fellow fitness enthusiasts and early risers.

The appointed hour came and the minutes ticked away.

No instructor appeared.

We waited.

And waited.

No one was around to complain to or question. Office staff strolls in after 8:00 a.m.

The instructor never showed. I learned later she was out of town and the substitute apparently forgot. She probably never set her alarm.

The early hour could not be squandered. I worked out in the gym.

On the way home I stopped at a small local supermarket to purchase a snack promised for an afternoon meeting. As I walked out clutching my two bags of groceries an employee (I knew he worked at the store because of his logo shirt) handed me a bouquet of flowers.

“Here, these are for you. We do this occasionally. Have a good day!”

Taken by surprise, I hesitantly accepted the flowers. “Thank you. You made my day!”

It doesn’t take much to make my day!

Armed with cookies for the meeting and flowers for me, I went home and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast.

And speaking (or more accurately, writing) of breakfast…

The average time it takes most people to eat breakfast, according to recent research, is 12 minutes.

Now that I no longer leave the house bright and early every morning for an office, I can take more than 12 minutes for breakfast. A lot more. And I usually do.

Across the pond the Brits spend even less time on breakfast – 3 minutes and 15 seconds. Most people do not bother sitting down, opting to eat standing. At least some Englishmen and women eat. Half the people surveyed do not consume any breakfast at all.

Sometimes, like this morning, my leisurely breakfast fritters away half the morning. I eat slowly, linger over coffee, scan the local paper (a real printed newspaper), check news online, and read emails.

Suddenly…

I scrambled to do the few things I wanted to accomplish before heading out to my meeting.

But it was all OK. I received a bouquet of flowers this morning.

And I had a good day. 

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely surprise! It would make my day too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Linda Myers said. Those really were the exact words I had in mind..

    ReplyDelete
  3. At our gym, once we had no instructor show up, but it was only once in six years and 3 times a week. But still... those flowers were just right! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple pleasures are best. Breakfast is important. The gym is a drag. I would rather be in my garden.

    ReplyDelete