Friday, April 11, 2014

Mingling With Writers

Greetings from the tourist mecca of Dayton, Ohio.

That is right. No typo. I am spending several days in this small city on the western border of Ohio.

I am attending the Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop.

I will write more details about this wonderful event next week when I get home, catch up on my rest, and have time to write.

Meanwhile I am attending a round of workshops and seminars by a variety of speakers and writers. I am meeting people who work full time as writers, some as columnists and reporters, bloggers and book writers, others in marketing and related positions with various companies. Others are part-time writers, many splitting time raising families and attempting to squeeze in as much writing time as possible. Others are wannabe writers. There are young women and older ones - one speaker and writer is 78 - and a very small number of brave men.

Attendees walk around with name tags around their neck listing their name and hometown. The question most often posed to me the last couple of days has been:

"So what do you think about Christie?"

I should have subsidized my conference fee by being a paid rep for the governor, boosting his reputation - which, as we all know, could use a lot of boosting.

And for the record, I am a Democrat. But as far as Republicans go, Christie ain't bad.

More about Dayton, Erma Bombeck, the conference, and the long, long, long car drive from home to Dayton and back home again next week.

6 comments:

  1. Lucky you. Sounds like a lot of fun. I look forward to your report on the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erma Bombeck was one of my favorite people. I think this is great, and I look forward to hearing more about the trip. And I love that "favorite thing" picture on your sidebar! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I saw your location, the screen went dark from the wash of green jealousy that overcame me. I had no idea there was such a conference. I will be waiting for your next post in panting anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jealous. i want to go next time! I didn't even know there was an Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop, but it is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the years, I have attended a few writer's workshops, seminars and classes. Much fun. Looking forward to your posts. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool. I would have loved to have gone to this conference. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete