Friday, January 10, 2014

Escaping Winter, Sort Of

Once again we - hub and I - are on the road. Our flight from the frigid north to the less-frigid south was on time, no delays or cancellations common in many northern airports the past few days. The uneventful but very tight flight - referencing the accommodations - on Spirit Air lasted, mercifully, a little over three hours. Flying time was about 2 hours 40 minutes, but time squished into seats must be counted. You get what you pay for, and we did not pay for much. Certainly not comfort.

We are once again with the grandkids.

There is an ancient, very relevant and truthful saying: Out of the mouth of babes...

My six-year-old granddaughter, a first-grader, is not exactly a babe, but she is innocence personified. She likes to write stories, and especially likes to write on my computer. Last night she was working on a story titled, "Grandma and Grandpa Visiting".

A good start. Here are the first two sentences:

Once upon a time Grandma and Grandpa came to visit. They came for two weeks. Once they were here for one day Mommy went to a hotel and Grandma and Grandpa watched me, my brother and my sister. 

She read us the above sentences before continuing. Hub and I looked at each other and burst out laughing.

Poor Hailey immediately began deleting the sentences.

"Why are you doing that?" I asked her.

"You are laughing at me. I guess it is no good."

I attempted to placate her, and felt bad we laughed at her. But it was funny - sort of. If anyone read those two lines and only those two lines, what would they think!? We may not win an award for best houseguests or in-laws ever, but (hopefully) we are not so bad that we would chase people away. And this is family.

Hailey continued her story with our support. Her next two sentences:

Mommy went to a Billy Joel concert. While I was at school Mommy came back and she came back in time to pick me up at school.

OK, the appearance of in-laws and quick disappearance of daughter-in-law explained. What a relief!

Meanwhile Dad was out of town on a business trip.

And another adventure with the grandkids begins...

 

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I think she's writing just great for six, but then again, it's been so long for me I'm not sure what a six-year-old can usually do. I smiled, too, but she didn't see me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's one way to spend a vacation. Given the weather, I doubt anyone will go to a concert.

    How wonderful your granddaughter can write. There is hope for the computer kids
    .
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so sensitive at that age. i am glad you were able to get her back on track so she could finish the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds to me like Grandma and Grandpa are the perfect grandparents ... and that it was worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you! My youngest granddaughter is also 6 and likes to write. I look forward to spring break when I can spend a week with them.

    ReplyDelete