Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fresh Air and Exercise for a Good Cause


The weekend began with a visit with my nephew, currently living in Truckee, California. Back East for a few days, he showed off his new physique, having lost 50 pounds since May by undertaking a running and nutrition program that is obviously working. Great work Josh!

Meanwhile my niece started her own exercise program outlined in an ap downloaded to her iPhone entitled 'Couch to 5k workout'. She is now running too.

My running days, amounting to about three attempts at jogging while in college, are long gone.

This morning – Sunday - dawned chilly but beautiful, not a cloud in the sky. Hub and I participated in the local Alzheimer’s Association walk along with about 20 other members of team Harvey’s Angels.

We left the house and walked to the registration place and starting point, then walked the three mile route along with thousands of others. The air warmed, the sun shined bright and strong and we shed layers of clothing.

Following the walk we got to sit down and enjoy lunch before heading home.

We walked a total of nine miles. My body, not quite rejecting me, is weary. 

But that is nothing compared to our son Jason, who ran what is called a 50 mile ultramarathon race in State College PA this morning, winning third place. Congratulations Jason!

Tomorrow I will take it relatively easy, doing laundry and packing for my next adventure. More on Tuesday, day one of what promises to be a unique travel experience.

5 comments:

  1. Too bad we don't live close -- I could use an exercise buddy!

    My doc decided that I need it and sent me to PT. I'm ordered to spend time at the gym at the clinic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nine miles is nothing to sneeze at! Good job, and I look forward to hearing more about your exercise adventures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right, though -- at our age, walk don't run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running destroys joints. I just had a hip replacement and will be happy when I can walk again. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nine miles--that a great walk!

    ReplyDelete