Monday, June 17, 2013

Sand Men and Women, Castles and Dragons, Oh My!

Life  has been hectic as summer weather finally arrives and family descend. Tubs of toys found their way from garage shelves into the family room. Grocery shopping, cooking, meal preparation and clean-up, and loads of laundry are attempted in the midst of a chaotic household. But it is all fun and short-term.

Outings with the grandkids highlight the days. During the past week we visited a wetlands institute, aquarium, zoo, and today toured a sand sculpture contest exhibit. We also went to the beach.

A sand sculpting world championship (honestly, how many of you knew there was such a thing!?) is currently taking place through June 30th in Atlantic City, New Jersey - the first time Atlantic City has hosted a prestigious event of this kind.

Sometimes a picture is worth paragraphs of words. Below are snapshots of some of the sculptures in the singles competition. The singles competition - one person completing an entire design - is over. The doubles competition - teams of two working on a piece - has yet to begin.

The exhibit is free and open seven days a week.




The three sculptures above greet visitors to the exhibit.


A winning entry and a favorite with our crowd.



My son adds a human touch.
More visitors taking in the sights.
My four grandchildren, one Mom and a Great Grandma a.k.a. my Mom.

A traditional castle and a favorite with the little girls.

A more unconventional sand sculpture popular with the guys.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are absolutely stunning, and all done by ONE PERSON? Amazing. I can't wait for the doubles, if this is what one person can do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic! My favorites are the dragon and the traditional castle, but they are all great. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this kind of thing in Mexico. I can't imagine how the artists achieve these results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the fabulous pictures. I can't get enough of these and if I can't be right there on the beach, I can at least enjoy them vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the fabulous pictures. I can't get enough of these and if I can't be right there on the beach, I can at least enjoy them vicariously.

    ReplyDelete