Thursday, November 8, 2012

Time for Some Serious Cocooning

On the back of a late-season hurricane a nor’easter slammed us. It left the earliest snowfall on record on the mainland; we only got a coating of wet, sticky white stuff. We dodged tidal flooding, wind damage and who knows what other calamities.

Today, however, it is quiet weather-wise. A nice reprieve.

It is uncommon in the history of weather keeping, forecasting, the weather channel or for a nor’easter snowstorm to arrive on the heels of a hurricane. As politicians, scientists and corporations debate climate change – is it real? What is causing it? Are humans responsible? – We experience uncommon climatic phenomena and unusual weather patterns.

Last night it was cold, dark (I hate 5:00 p.m. blackness), windy, and a downpour we call a ‘mixed bag’. A mess of rain and wet snow fell from the sky, coating streets and making driving treacherous. But there was no flooding or loss of electricity or additional hardship beyond what many around here already face.

It was time to hunker down with a large cup of hot chocolate – the first of the season – grab a blanket, a book, my computer, the TV remote, get comfortable on the couch and become a bona fide couch potato.

Which is exactly what I did.

I mustered enough energy to make homemade soup for dinner. The hours passed reading, cooking, watching TV, receiving phone calls and generally not expending a lot of calories. It was a perfect winter’s afternoon and evening (I know it is not technically winter yet, but it sure felt that way).

Before assuming the couch potato position I spent the morning driving around in a cold, steady rain, stopping at the post office, drug store, and food market. I stopped at the house intent on getting some work done, but the house was too damp and cold. I lost my enthusiasm, grabbed the newspapers and mail and left.

Our recovery from Sandy is proceeding slowly but steadily. Monday electrician guy came and, after three hours of work, restored heat to our family room. The family room was a late addition to the house and is on a separate heating system; the rest of the house has gas heat. The electric heat maintains a house temperature above pipe-freezing level, but not above my body-chilling level.

The following day a tall, thin workman arrived, slid under the house and spent hours creating huge piles of heavy, wet insulation removed from the crawl space under the house.

Tomorrow morning insurance adjuster dude arrives. He will survey the damage, write a report and forward it to the insurance company. A few weeks later (on the phone he said lead time was four weeks, but that could increase as more claims are filed) a check will arrive in the mail. We are impatient and anxious to find out what repairs our insurance covers and how much money we will receive.

And so life continues. Hub works, cell phone in one hand, computer on his lap and notes spread around. I finally got to zumba class once again. Everyone shared storm stories. And everyone agrees they hope this is a once in a lifetime experience.


  1. What else can you do? Your area has been slammed. I do hope things calm down.

  2. I'm impressed that you are coping so well. Hang in there Years from now you will resell the storm stories.