Friday, August 17, 2012

Smartphone Saga – Part 2


I probably hold the record for owning a smartphone for the shortest period of time - less than 24 hours. I had the phone about 16 hours before returning it.

I was humbled, humiliated, and shamed into turning in the device, replacing it with an iPhone.

My family – more specifically, my son, daughter-in-law, and hub – berated me for my poor initial smartphone decision. I must admit cheapness and impatience won out over better judgment. I think my failure can be attributed to pure exhaustion. My mind was not working at peak performance levels. Thank you, grandkids.

My family convinced me that, as owner of a Mac computer, an iPhone would ‘sync’ with it.  The two Apple products would get along wonderfully together. Any other instrument would not be as compatible (so everyone said), resulting in problems transferring pictures and trying additional tasks.

Others reinforced my immediate impression that my first smartphone was not user-friendly. An iPhone, on the other hand – so I was told - is easy to learn, easy to handle, and actually fun to use.

My daughter-in-law and two-year-old granddaughter accompanied me to the phone store. The transfer went smoothly, though of course cost more money. Once again I signed my name, filled out forms, answered questions, waited, and finally walked out with my new, more expensive, upgraded toy.

My eight-year-old grandson cannot wait to play games on my new device. He already knows how to find and download aps (I am getting into the lingo).

My daughter-in-law is teaching me how to use my new gadget. She insists I will become addicted, like so many other smartphone users. We will see.

Meanwhile hub is, once again, investigating all the powers of my new phone. I do not think it will be long before he has one, too.

6 comments:

  1. I don't have an iPhone because I've already got an iPad, an iMac, and a MacBook Air. I'm connected enough! But please do post about your adventures with the iPhone and maybe I'll also go down that path. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have avoided becoming addicted to alcohol,drugs,sex,food,etc. I hope I can now add a phone to that list. I can always just say NO. I look forward to your adventures in the technology of the 21st century though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Even if you do not love your iphone (as I do), you will find it very useful. The one thing that I 'don't' do on it is 'play games'... but that's just me. And even though I have an ereader, I find myself reading on my iphone while standing in line, at doctor's etc. because it is always with me. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Olga's comment! I'm with her! However, if my hub can manage an iPhone, it's pretty certain anyone can. As for fun? I'd say that depends on the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What DJan said! My real reason for not having an IPhone is that my phone carrier has a month-to-month service, no contract, but doesn't offer the iPhone. I hate the idea of a contract. I'm holding out as long as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have a cheap cell phone from Virgin. I only use it for emergencies or to locate my wife when we go grocery shopping together. The battery is not holding its charge very long so I'll need a new phone. Did you know it would be cheaper to get a new phone than a new battery? At least that's what I was told at Radio Shack when my wife needed a new battery.
    I want to keep things as simple as possible so I hesitate in buying a new phone with features I'll never use.
    Wish me luck in finding a simple phone with no extras.
    Nice blog. I'm going to join.

    ReplyDelete