Friday, June 15, 2012

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel: The Movie


I rarely go to the movies, as in really going to a theater and paying an exorbitant sum of money to sit for an hour and a half or two hours. The movies I want to see are eventually available on Demand or at Red Box kiosks and rental stores.

But I wanted to see The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel. Hub came with me; I did not tell him beforehand what the movie was all about.

We approached the ticket kiosk and after asking for two tickets and told the price, hub almost turned around and walked out. Each ticket was $7.50, a special pre-5:00 p.m. price. But I firmly took his hand and maneuvered us through the lobby and into the theater.

The movie’s premise sounded interesting, and people who saw it (my Mom, my sister and one girlfriend) liked it. The one exception was my brother-in-law, who hated it, but we do not have the same taste in movies. He likes lots of action, as in bang-bang-shoot-em-ups or blow-em-ups. I am bored after a few minutes of cowboys or car chases or alien spaceship invasions.

The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel stars seniors – not the high school or college kind, but the mature kind. Seven senior citizens, mainly for financial reasons, relocate from their native England to a rundown hotel in the city of Jaipur, India. The individuals (except for one couple) do not initially know each other, but bond with a common living experience.

I liked the movie and my hub did not not like it, but it will not make his favorites list. It is not exactly a chick flick, but I think more women will enjoy the movie. It is at times slow-paced and deep – meaning people actually talk to each other for more than a nanosecond – and many men and some women will find it boring, not patient enough to just sit and relish the moment. I doubt many young folks will find the movie captivating, either.

The Most Exotic… runs two hours (and four minutes, but who is counting) and stars the following actors and actresses: Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy, Celia Imrie, Penelope Wilton, and Ronald Pickup. An amusing performance by Dev Patel as the young Indian hotel manager adds a humorous, light-hearted note to the movie.

Check it out; most baby boomers and older folks will probably appreciate and like the movie (unless they are more inclined, like my BIL, to action-packed flicks). It probably should be required viewing for all college gerontology majors and those working with the ‘elderly’.

On a personal note, the idea of retiring overseas intrigues me, but for many reasons will not happen. If I were to move, however, India would not be my first (or second or third or fourth…) choice. My preference would be a place less crowded. I like some city and town amenities, but do not want to maneuver through crowds, traffic, long lines and pollution in my old age. And I am not a fan of oppressive heat.

I will have to give the idea some careful thought and consideration. I won’t be moving abroad, but hope to visit places for maybe one, two or even three months at a time. Perhaps it is time to start a wish list…

5 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike!!! I just got home from seeing it!!!!!!
    $6 at the multiplex. I really enjoyed it and am now wondering if perhaps I should consider something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed it very much. I paid $6.25 at the local independent theater I support. I loved the Judi Dench and Tom Wilkinson characters, but found the Maggie Smith character a bit over the top, although anything that Maggie is in cannot be all bad. (I love her on Downton Abbey.) I'm glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the ballot box: My hub saw "The Most Exotic . . ." with me and then saw "The Avengers" with a male buddy on another night. Enjoyed them both. Actually, the male buddy had seen "The Most Exotic . . . " earlier and highly recommended it. We adore Maggie Smith, wherever, however, whenever, and whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the book, and I think that'll do me. If it's on one of the movie channels eventually, I'll probably watch it, but I won't pay to see it. I found it a bit depressing, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the things I really like about my husband is his willingness to see chick flicks with me. I forget the name of the movie at the moment--Holly Hunter in New Zealand, playing the piano--we watched that on a Super Bowl Sunday and Mike was the only male in the theater.

    ReplyDelete