Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I Remember Nora Ephron



Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim. – Nora Ephron

Last night I was watching some trivial TV show, computer on my lap, reading e-mails and checking the news. My eyes immediately caught a headline that stunned me – Nora Ephron died.

Nora was only 71. It is interesting that I write ‘only’ – at one time that would have seemed old. But nowadays people live into their 80s, 90s, and there are more and more centenarians. As I age and close in on my 70s, although still several years away, 70+ does not seem so old at all.

I loved Nora’s books and essays. She had a wonderful way of instilling humor into the most mundane activities. I laughed out loud at many of the experiences described in two of her books, I Feel Bad About My Neck and I Remember Nothing. Not exactly making light of aging, she had a knack for finding the comedy and absurdity in the everyday, ordinary adventures of living as well as life’s trials, troubles and joys.

Nora wrote about a difficult time in her life, her divorce from Carl Bernstein, in her book Heartburn. She wrote and later directed several movies. She eventually turned Heartburn into a movie. Among her screenplays was Silkwood, which she co-wrote with Alice Arlen, about a worker at a plutonium plant who died under mysterious circumstances. She wrote When Harry Met Sally, and wrote and directed two of my favorite lightweight but endearing romantic chick flicks, You’ve Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle. Her last film was Julie & Julia, which I also thoroughly enjoyed.
One of the most famous movie quotes of all time is from When Harry Met Sally. After Sally fakes an orgasm the woman at the table next to Harry and Sally says, "I'll have what she's having."
I was eagerly awaiting Nora’s new book, which I am sure she was writing, about her witty insights on aging. I did not know she was ill and fighting a type of leukemia for years. 

I look out the window and I see the lights and the skyline and the people on the street rushing around looking for action, love, and the world’s greatest chocolate chip cookie, and my heart does a little dance.  –Nora Ephron

5 comments:

  1. I just read the news as I was logging onto the computer. How sad. I admired Nora's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice remembrance. Nora Ephron produced a lot of good laughs for us -- and we're all the richer for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely tribute to a talented, brave, funny woman. Thanks, Meryl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Live life to the fullest." I hope she did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss her too. I have been reading some of her books...again. My favorite of the moment is 'I Remember Nothing.' Dianne

    ReplyDelete