Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dialogue of a Married Couple


The couple is driving together.

Wife: “I’m tired of getting the cars fixed. They are beginning to nickel and dime us to death. It is time to buy a new one.”

Husband: “I like my red car.”

 “I like my red car.”

 “So then it’s settled.”

“What?”

“We just spent money fixing my car. What would Tomasello’s do without us?”

“They’ll survive. We’ll keep one of the cars.”

A few moments of silence.

Husband: “But…”

Wife: “I am tired of spending money every month fixing one or the other car. I want a reliable car when we travel. I was holding my breath the last time I drove to the airport.”

“The sound bothered you?”

“I was worried the car wouldn’t make it.”

“But I like my car.”

“The air conditioning doesn’t work.”

“Your car barely cools down in the summer.”

She gives him a withering look.

Husband: “Maybe we should trade both in. You think we can manage with one car?”

Wife: “If we have to. We don’t have to…Do you realize you went right through the stop sign?”

“Where? No...I don’t want to spend the money.”

“Me either.”

They both sigh and sit silently for a couple of minutes.

He: “It’s settled. We’ll keep both cars.”

She: “One has 165,000 miles and the other 111,000.”

“Isn’t that great? Mine is going to make 200,000!”

Her eyes roll.

He: “I have no idea what I want.” Pauses, then, “We’ll start looking.”

She: “Any idea what we want?”

“There’s no rush…What do you want?”

“Small, gets good gas mileage, new or low mileage.”

He rolled his eyes. “I’m tired of red cars.”

She: “I loved my red Saturn.”

“I hate buying cars. They make it so difficult. I just want to go in, get a price, make a decision. I don’t want to play games or negotiate.”

“GM screwed up.” (FYI: Saturn set car prices and did not bargain or negotiate.)

“There’s the place. Hungry?”

He: “I can always eat…” 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that transition from a car for each to a shared vehicle...it's a big one. I hate to think that the next step is not being able to drive at all, but it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was listening to my 1998 Accord today on the freeway. It's still super reliable but I don't remember the engine noise being as loud years ago.

    My husband loves his Prius. I have a feeling when we downsize to one car, his is the one we will keep. But I'll need to figure out how to get him to stop thinking of it as a mobile office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a huge decision. So far my Tacoma has 116 miles with zero problems, no repairs, only regular maintenence. I would like new but there is that "if it ain't broke" feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is funny. Since we retired, we sure don't need two cars, but neither of us can bear to give up our own car. Mine is the one we take on trips, his is only driven by him now and then, but he loves having the freedom of coming and going whenever he wants. They are both Honda Civics and so far we haven't had to make this decision. But one day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like us. We now have three cars, two old clunkers he drives and my beautiful 7-year old Matrix with 17,000 miles. David can't drive his Fiat which is a stick shift.

    When he was in the hospital for hip replacement number 1, a sign appeared on the telphone pole near the Fiat that read, "old cars towed away for free." I reckon the parts are good for something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did this come from a true story? I can actually see my mom and dad talking the same way. They argue, but in the end, they always find a way that would benefit everyone in the family. One moral lesson I’ve learned here: sharing is also one key to solve such problems. :D

    ReplyDelete