Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year, New Me...Again

Here's to a more productive year!

One year I will get it right - make the usual New Year’s resolutions to eat healthy, lose a few pounds, exercise regularly – and stick with it. My commitment has improved a bit over the years. Wisdom gained with age has helped propel me to better success, although not complete success.

I discovered an intriguing idea while catching up and reading blogs during the holidays and decided to adopt the concept: Choose one word and make it the motivation, concentration, effort and emphasis of the year.

I have been thinking about my word for 2012. It is difficult narrowing down the choices. I do not want to choose a word that, later in the year, constrains and ends up being too narrow a word, such as chocolate. I would have no problem spending an entire year studying, cooking, eating, reading about, buying and thinking about chocolate – but the extra calories alone compels me to eliminate this idea. 

I have been thinking about verbs –

·      *  Reading - too inactive – I would probably fall asleep often and dream my way through the year. But I will put this word on the back burner for the future when physical limitations require me to restrict the possibilities.
·      
*   * Walking - how many tapes can I listen to in a year and what do I do in cold and bad weather? This one will wait until I am a snowbird, which will probably be never.
·       
*   * Eating - I could spend a full year and a lifetime concentrating on, thinking about, planning, reading about food, shopping, cooking and EATING – but I cannot do it in 2012. The word does not fit well into my weight loss/maintenance program.

Verbs indicate activity, action, and accomplishment. But all the doing can be exhausting.

I believe I have finally found my word for 2012 – DISCIPLINE. I have a problem making resolutions and lists of things to do and following through. I make a list and promptly lose it. I conveniently forget my resolutions. I lack discipline to see a task completed. I abandon undertakings and move on. I lack the discipline to set a schedule and stick to it. I am notorious for using any excuse to get out of doing what is planned. I have a bad habit of spending too much time online checking my email, reading the news, looking up information that can wait…

I sometimes read and marvel about people and their achievements. They have careers, families, travel, hobbies, leisure time activities, charity work….I wonder how they do it all. Where do they get the time, the stamina, and the energy? I will never be that hyper-productive individual, but I can raise my productivity level somewhat.

And so discipline will be my word, my mantra, for 2012. I will set goals such as attending exercise classes weekly, spending a specific amount of time writing each week, etc. I will train myself – hopefully – and discipline myself to follow through and actually complete my goals, one day, one week, one month and eventually one year at a time.

Age teaches us not to exceed our boundaries. I will attempt to be reasonable, realistic, and yet not too easy on myself in establishing priorities and setting goals. Forward, fortified with discipline, to a more productive life style.

4 comments:

  1. If you find some discipline, please tell me where you got it and what it cost. I need some desperately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need to change the word, resolution, before anyone can get it right. RE-do over, and over, and over...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I exercise all the time but never think of it as "discipline" since I enjoy it so much. I am not one to exercise alone, so I do it with others and it makes all the difference. But it's a good year. I will look forward to hearing your progress during the year. You are always interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to getting more exercise this year, now that my May back injury appears to be on the mend.

    ReplyDelete