Friday, October 7, 2011

Jobs: My Mac and His Family

So much has been written about Steve Jobs that there is nothing more to add, really, to the memorials, testimonials and reminiscences. I never met the man and have had minimal Apple contact over the years.

Way, way back - decades ago, more years than I care to remember - I had  an Apple computer. I loved it. It was simple and easy to use, non-geeky and user friendly for tech-impaired folks. DOS was the prevailing system at the time, and you had to learn a lot of stuff to use it. Apple invented icons and easy-click entry to applications (I know this is controversial, but anyone with an early Apple computer knows this is true).

Then the real world of business intruded. Business did not like Macs (unless you were in the creative arts or related field). I used PCs at work and switched to a PC at home. I never forgot my first computer love. 

Fast forward into the 21st century and I finally got my very own Apple - a MacBook Pro - in August. We are becoming good companions and fast friends.

Steve Jobs was a genius, an innovator, born and raised in the 20th century but in the forefront of leading us into the 21st century.

Much has been written about his business acumen and inventions. Little has been written about his family. I like to know something about the human side of people - whether politicians, businesspeople or friends. I purposely leave out celebrities because I really do not care about their lives, loves, children, temper tantrums, etc. Although, in doctor's waiting rooms I do like to take a look in the magazines at which weightless waif looks better in the dress... 

I am getting way off subject. The Daily Mail, a British newspaper, published an article about Steven Jobs and his family. If you are interested in who he left behind, check out the article (try to draw a genealogy chart of his ancestors, current living family members, and leave space for future descendants. It will be an interesting exercise). Jobs represents one example of the jumbled past and merged present of so many American families today. Actually, Obama would be another example (but I am getting off subject again.)

 I would like to end this post with a quote by Winston Churchill that makes me smile as I picture Jobs meeting God: 

I am ready to meet my maker, 
but whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal 
of meeting me is another matter.  

2 comments:

  1. Someone on one of my blogs yesterday wrote that a Twitter message going around was simply "iSad" -- sums it up for me. Way too young, but I'm glad he was so innovative. I have nothing but Mac products since I retired. Typing on my five-year-old MacBook, carry my iPad around with me, and have an iMac desktop at my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not own an Apple product (unless you count my old Beatles albums) but I know Steve Jobs still changed my life ... I mean, I have a mouse. Didn't Steve Jobs develop the mouse way back in the 1980s?

    May he rest in peace; and may we look forward to some other, younger Steve Jobs-types coming our way, who will change our lives for the better.

    Btw, I like your note about his jumbled past. You are so right ...

    ReplyDelete