Thursday, September 15, 2011

Passing Security on the Way Out West

The weather is gorgeous at home; sunny, warm and beautiful as the last days of summer exit memorably. Meanwhile the garden begs for attention, the house begs for change as summer morphs into the beginnings of fall, and my refrigerator needs cleaning. My closet yields what now seem silly light-weight tops and shorts. I need to dig for comfy fall attire. But all of this must wait. Hub and I are on our way out west. We are looking ahead with much apprehension to five days babysitting older son's kids: a one year old, four year old and seven year old. 

The mayhem of mother-in-law must wait a week. The past couple of days has yielded an eye problem (immediately seen by the doctor), calls for phone numbers as she attempts to reach her niece on her birthday (niece's cell phone doesn't work; it landed in the water while wrestling with her one-year-old son), and laments about the fact we will not be around for a week (the complaint department will be temporarily closed).

We ARE the sandwich generation.

Hub and I embark upon another airport experience. It  has been a few months since previously endured, but it is time once again. I am sitting in a lounge with my trusty laptop awaiting boarding time. We arrived early because hub has a conference call; it was arrive early or scramble in rush hour traffic and possibly miss the plane. 

I drove to the airport so hub could converse on his cell phone, one business call after another. This is important; someone needs to pay for our trips to the grandkids and we need the medical insurance, at least until Medicare kicks in. 

There was little traffic, which was a good omen. The air conditioning in our Toyota (not an antique yet, but OLD considering the buy date begins19..) does not work. We could get it fixed, but that costs money. Hub wants to fix it, while I say it is time to cut the cord, bite the bullet as they say and buy a new car. The lack of traffic on our one hour trip to the airport allowed us to cruise along, windows open, enjoying the breeze (and the noise). It would have been a brutal trip if we were stuck in traffic, the hot sun beating down on us…

There were no problems parking the car; the airport shuttle bus followed right behind us as we parked and dragged out our luggage. And the bus was air-conditioned. A few minutes later we were at the airport, immediately making our way to security. Printing boarding passes at home streamlines the airport process.

I was one of the chosen while passing through security, taken aside and told to stand in a special cordoned off area. I was not patted down. My hands were swiped. I waited a few minutes, wondering why I was singled out, hub waiting impatiently to move on. The security guard finally came over, waved his arm and ushered me on. 

It was mid-afternoon, mid-week, and security lines were minimal. I guess a 60-something-year-old woman struggling with a laptop, suitcase (I avoid extra fees and do not check luggage if I can help it), oversize bag (dragged out of storage for these trips), large bracelets, assorted papers, a large straw hat and a jacket match some kind of profile. It must have something to do with a few laughs needed in the TSA break room on slow afternoons…

I hope the rest of the trip goes smoothly. The trip has only just begun...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an auspicious beginning to me! Hope you have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good trip. By the way, you'll still need health insurance after you get on medicare. The insurance companies get you coming and going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh, I miss the time when I thought flying was a great adventure in itself. Now it is just a big pain.
    I hope all goes well with the grand kids.

    ReplyDelete