Friday, August 12, 2011

Welcome New Baby

We have a new addition to our family. My son (#2) and his wife welcomed their first baby, Sydney Maya. She weighed just 6 lbs 3 oz. and is very cute (OK, I am not exactly objective...)
Is she cute or what??!!
The Colorado crew of five was in town when the big event transpired. Seven of us--four adults and three kids--piled into two cars for a road trip. We were off to visit the new baby. The kids were excited to meet their new cousin.
We left about 4:00 p.m. on Monday afternoon, stopped for dinner and eventually for the night at a motel where we were lucky enough to get a two bedroom, two bath suite with a kitchen-main room. It was 10 o’clock and everyone was tired and cranky.
The following morning we dined on the motel breakfast, not exactly gourmet dining and nothing to write about but the kids ate it. Then they spent a half hour in the motel pool before we all climbed back in the cars for the second leg of our journey.
About four hours and several stops later—for gas, pee stops, snacks—we rendezvoused for lunch at a pizza joint. The four year old screamed when she bruised her knee running around and the two oldest – the 4 and 7 year old – were relentlessly bickering, even though they drove up in different cars.
We arrived at our destination mid-afternoon. Baby Sydney was peacefully sleeping on a blanket on the floor, new Dad was sitting calmly next to her and Mom was resting upstairs.  The other set of grandparents were quietly enjoying some down time.
Then the seven of us invaded. Suddenly there was a dog barking, baby crying (the Colorado baby, all of 11 months old), loud and boisterous kids, parents and grandparents stretching legs and lungs after the long car ride.
Babies are not quite as interesting as Legos to a 7-year-old.
Sami says: Baby cousins are cool, but remotes are more fun!
The following day the kids toured a couple of local attractions, including a farm where they got to milk a goat and the teddy bear factory. Then four of them headed back to the beach, stopping to see friends along the way.
Grandpa and I left on Thursday with the seven-year-old in tow and made the trip home in one day.
Baby Sydney weathered her relatives well. She slept through most of the chaos, cried just a little, and even opened her eyes for a short time. I cannot say Mom, Dad and the other grandparents survived the visit quite so well. They spent the next couple of days recuperating from all of the commotion.
But Sydney got to meet her new cousins, aunt, uncle and grandparents, and we were thrilled to meet her.

1 comment:

  1. You might be biased, but she IS just beautiful! Welcome little Sydney! She sure has a lot of hair...