Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Welcome Summer!

No price is set on the lavish summer;
June may be had by the poorest comer.
-James Russell Lowell, 1848
Summer is officially here, although it has felt that way since Memorial Day. The weather has been beautiful – sunny and warm almost every day. There was even a hot spell of 90+ temperatures. I am not sure if this means anything; hopefully the early summer does not portend an early fall and winter. I hope the warmth lasts through September…
Our neighborhood experienced some bad news yesterday. One of our local neighborhood ducks was run over and killed by a car driving much too fast down our narrow street. Maybe the driver thought the duck would fly away, maybe he did not see the animal, and maybe he did not care. But our friend did not have time to respond. Ducks mate for life, or at least this couple did--they have been around the neighborhood together for years--and I am sure his companion is very sad, lonely and distraught.
 Mr. and Mrs. LeCanard
(that's supposedly duck in French, but I never took French)

2 comments:

  1. That is very sad news indeed. And I hope we make it to 80 degrees sometime soon here. Then I'll be wishing for it to cool off. We got to 75 once this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wherever you live - I'd like to be there. I live not too far from DJan, and we'd all be thrilled by a warm sunny day.

    ReplyDelete