Tuesday, June 7, 2011

There are Shortcuts to Happiness and Dancing is One of Them

A quote by Austrian writer Vicki Baum (1888-1960).

I have achieved an epic time in life. It is the time when I am going to do some things I want to do because I want to do them, ridiculous as they may be.

And so I dance.

Apparently I am not alone to come to dance late in life. Socrates learned to dance at the age of seventy because he felt that an 'essential part of himself had been neglected'.

There is a bit of insanity in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good.  - Edwin Denby



I am the one on the floor. Somehow seems appropriate for the old lady of the group.

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese proverb



There are no pictures of me in my Zumba sweats. Thank goodness. For those non-exercisers out there Zumba is a dance-exercise class, choreographed to music, based on Latin dances. Nowadays all kinds of music is used (at least where I take classes). A recent addition to our music is Lady Gaga's Born This Way. I am not a Lady Gaga fan, but dancing to this song is a lot of fun. I read today that the song has been banned in Lebanon. More accurately, authorities impounded the albums upon arrival in Lebanon--Lebanon does not officially censor music, books, etc. Apparently the song is "offensive to Christianity". I think the government should spend more time on the real problems of the country.

Meanwhile I will think about other ridiculous things I want to do (besides dance).

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today. James Dean 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun. I'm doing well just to walk, though. But, I used to love to dance.

    ReplyDelete