Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Michele and Sarah Rock On

I just want to advise readers this post is NOT about a lesbian couple thrilled to be able to get married in the Empire State.
Today I am expressing political opinions. Any views or opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the writer and do not necessarily represent those of any other live human being in the entire world.
The news networks, internet and social media are all abuzz about Michele Bachmann’s race for the Presidential nomination. Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin are the queens of ultra-conservative Republicans. The Republican right seems to be enamored of women candidates right now. I guess the public prefers pictures of Sarah’s road trip and Michele’s campaigning than film of gray-haired men making boring speeches.
I am not sure why both women have a problem with public speaking; they sometimes do not make sense and are flippant about inaccuracies and mis-speaks. Bachmann has a college education and law degree. Palin eventually completed college after attending a string of schools in Hawaii, Alaska and Idaho.
Both women, along with their Tea Party cohorts, have collective right-wing views that are chiseled in stone, inflexible and unchangeable. Bachmann seems to consistently rely on half-truths and simplified statements to make her point. Politifact.com, a fact-checking service, looked at 24 of her statements and found only one completely true and 17 false; seven were “pants on fire” false. Benjamin Franklin said, “Half a truth is often a great lie”.  I don’t know about you, but I do not like to be misled.
Bachmann’s and Palin’s ideas and views of the world are very different from mine, but that does not necessarily mean one of us is entirely right and the other completely wrong. I like James Madison’s quote,”As long as the reason of man continues fallible, and he is at liberty to exercise it, different opinions will be formed.” Let’s agree to disagree.
Bachmann's positions do not exactly champion the little guy; she wants to make sure BP doesn’t get “fleeced” in their oil spill settlement, expressed her wish to eliminate Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, voted NO on energy tax credits and incentives, NO to expanding children’s health care programs, and NO on extending AMT exemptions to avoid hitting middle-class families – and I thought she was FOR tax cuts.
My take on the Tea Party/Republican game-playing is that Palin wants to play king or queen-maker.  She loves being the center of attention, as long as it is on her terms.
Meanwhile mainstream Republicans look askance at this whole situation. They realize a Bachman or similar individual as their Presidential candidate would have a slim to none chance of actually winning the White House. Yet they are powerless at this point. I believe they secretly hope these folks will play themselves out and leave a gap for a candidate with a chance of being elected.
In my opinion a lot of Tea Party followers are intolerant of those who do not hold their beliefs. Their philosophy can be stated as follows: my way or the highway. They did not like a black man being elected President – which was in part their fault for not raising their voices against the poor management of eight Bush years. I believe a lot of them do not want a Mormon President. They won’t say it out loud – it is definitely not the politically correct thing to do – but fundamentalist Christians are not Mormon fans. Many believe the Mormon faith is un-Christian and heretical. It was just over 50 years ago that John Kennedy ran for President and said: I hope no American will waste his franchise and throw away his vote by voting either for me or against me solely on account of my religious affiliation. It is not relevant.
Let the campaign noise continue…

4 comments:

  1. I certainly don't argue with any of your points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, you are preaching to the choir here. I totally agree with everything you said here. Intolerance is the watchword for both ladies, and you said it very well. I enjoyed reading this, even if I do try to avoid news about those two ladies. They raise my blood pressure ifI listen to them too closely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're interesting, though! My personal (moderate to liberal) hope is that they'll draw enough votes away from more viable candidates that the Republican field will be fragmented.

    ReplyDelete