Friday, May 13, 2011

Tuna Noodle Casserole Survives (at my house)

I have always liked tuna noodle casserole. The poor dish has been the butt of jokes by many and scorned by legions of kids and adults alike. A column by Craig Wilson in Wednesday’s USA Today is the ultimate indignity. In a column entitled ‘Never Say Never isn’t cut in stone’ he mentions the moment he announced to his mother that he would never eat the dish again. And he has kept his word.
My hub whines about the dish, but eats it when I make it, which is rarely because of all the grief I get. It is amazingly good comfort food. What is not to like about pasta, cheese, tuna and whatever else the cook chooses to add. I never (there’s that word again) add canned soup. I haven’t bought a can or cooked a can of soup in years; probably decades. (I will on occasion use sodium-free bouillon cubes.)
As we have moved from counting every penny, cutting coupons and actually using them to throwing out the coupon inserts without perusing them, I have moved on to additional and more expensive tuna noodle casserole ingredients. I might add other seafood items such as shrimp, scallops and/or faux crab strips. I am flexible. Whatever is on sale is a possibility. I try low-cal substitutes to minimize the calories and guilt.
There are not a whole lot of things better on a cold wintry day when stuck indoors than whipping up a dish - topped with bread crumbs and maybe some of those French fried onion rings - plopping down in front of the TV and watching a movie with a decadent-sized serving of home-cooked comfort food.
As the TV commercial declared – mmm…mmm…good!

3 comments:

  1. I know, why is that such a step child? Like you, I think it ranks right up with mac and cheese for a filling comfort food. Thanks, think I'll make some tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big tuna fan -- smells like cat food to me -- but you put all that stuff in it and it's gotta be good. I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put ham in it, instead of tuna. We have it fairly often. It's goooooooood!

    ReplyDelete