Friday, April 1, 2011

On the road again...

I am sitting on a plane enduring a 4 ½ hour trip. The entire journey will be longer door to door, but once we land it will be over as far as I am concerned. I enjoy traveling, but the plane ride can be a challenge. I am in the middle seat wedged between a young woman wrapped in a blanket (her own) sleeping, and my husband. The plane is quiet – no crying babies or screaming toddlers, although there are both aboard – but it is tight. My hub says the particular plane we are on is narrow, and there are three seats on each side of the aisle. I am hoping I do not have to get up and pee before we reach our destination. I think I will be able to get out, but getting back in might prove difficult.
We are on our way to the grandkids. It is spring break, and we are helping Mom get through the week with three kids. Only the oldest is in elementary school, but keeping all three busy and on schedule for a week without school can be daunting. We will be taking the two oldest – all of 3 and 6 years of age - to the mountains for a three day winter vacation. Meanwhile all I can think of is spring. I cannot believe I had to pack my long underwear again.
Why does flying make you feel so tired? It doesn’t matter what time of day, I am always exhausted. By the end of a trip all I want to do is take a nap. I am fine the next day, but the flying day can be a lost one. We are three hours into the trip, and my eyes feel heavy and sleepy. I feel drained and worn out. We will be arriving about lunch time, so we will have almost a full day with the kids. No nap time for me. I will be in bed tonight just a few minutes after the kids.
I should have thought this through ahead of time. We should have flown later in the day and arrived so we could go to bed, or before they changed the clocks. But the very early morning flights are always the cheapest ones. Can I go to bed when it is still light? After all, it will be two hours later (and dark) at home.


1 comment:

  1. I hear you. We have our 11-year-old grandson with us for two days. It is an energy sink to be an active grandma!

    ReplyDelete