Friday, March 25, 2011

Car Seats for Seniors

There was a segment on the news recently concerning new car seat regulations for kids. The latest recommendations assert toddlers should not be turned around, facing forward, until they are two years old. That alarms me. Who knows what mischief a child can get into? The driver won’t have a clue what might be happening.
The second change suggested children continue using booster seats between the ages of 8 and 12 years old or until they are 4 foot 11 inches tall. That started me thinking.
What happens when seniors start to shrink and fall below the 4’11” threshold? Will we need booster seats?
I have a couple of car seats in the garage for my current and future grandkids. I assumed they would be given away when the kids outgrew them. I am having second thoughts. Maybe I should keep one for myself. I doubt my hub will shrink that much; he is about 5 foot 9 or 10 inches tall. I am barely 5 foot 2 inches and foresee the time the top of my head barely scrapes the 5 foot marker on my doctor’s scale.
Will police give out tickets to short seniors? I think the entire state of Florida will have to be placed under protective custody until we get this seat thing figured out. 

How often do you drive Florida roads and wonder if there is anyone behind the wheel? Diminutive men and women barely able to see out the windshield cruise around clocking 30 miles per hour in the passing lane of the expressway, oblivious to the chaos and honking horns around them.
 Will Congress mandate the use of booster seats for seniors in taxis and limousines?   

Will our personal seats have to be inspected? Will we need extra ones so friends can drive with us? Or will we carry around our own personal booster seat, a light-weight, collapsible model with a handsomely designed, monogrammed case?
Now I have one more issue to worry about. 

I have to monitor my descent so I will know when to begin using my elevated seat.
Young, hip marketers will invent catchy advertising slogans like…
Raise the Roof for Grandma
Can you see me now?  
Sit Down and You’re Almost Standing Up!
And the safety message: Boost her or lose her.

6 comments:

  1. Very funny. Remember the child car seats that just hooked over the back of the regular seat and were placed in the front right between Mom and Dad? Mine even had a little steering wheel attached...all the better to impail myself. Oh, well, somehow I survived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. It is something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so funny. Being a rapidly shrinking senior who was short in her best days, I can see the future. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olga suggested I read your blog. You are too funny. Oh what a thought, being driven around in the back seat. If this actually does come to pass, I hope the driver is one of my kids, then I can get even by howling at the top of my lungs, crying non stop, and kicking the driver's seat to get their attention, Oh this could be Fun. And maybe arguing with the Mr, saying 'did to', did not, for hours on end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the comment got lost. Anyway I am so glad that you stopped by my blog because this post, and you, are hilarious. Made me laugh out loud. I cannot wait to have to get into a car seat and be able to throw a tantrum without anyone questioning why, ha ha. Will link to this from my blog. Lilly xx (www.lillyslife.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog post over at Lilly's. I also took a quick look at your investment blog. Does that get much traffic? I find investing in stocks fun. Other than raising the seat all the way up I don't think car seats for senior drivers are going to work. Their eyesight (lack of) is the biggest problem I believe. If they are not driving then you can throw them in the trunk.

    ReplyDelete