Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Color me Clueless

Our newspaper is delivered everyday; it supposedly arrives about 6:30 a.m. All I know is that when I go out to retrieve it, it is there.  I have a pleasant morning routine making breakfast, then retreating to my office - my kitchen counter - with the morning paper. Eat breakfast, read paper, review e-mail…
I missed a lot of things during my the years working a traditional office job. I recently read an article that a company, Pantone Inc., designated honeysuckle as the color of the year for 2011. 

I never knew there was a color of the year. The company declared: “Energizing Honeysuckle lifts spirits and imparts confidence to meet life’s ongoing challenges”. Apparently the company reviews new clothing lines, interviews designers, and determines what we – consumers – will see and buy in the coming year. 

For the year 2011 -the new color is honeysuckle. Let me explain what that means. Pantone’s honeysuckle is pink. 

Pink is the new ‘in’ color.
I can guarantee I am not going to run to the nearest store and grab a bunch of pink clothes. I have never been a pink person. My granddaughter loves pink. Her room is pink, a lot of her clothes are pink, and she has pink toys. 

I got into pink late in life. The only way some of my clothes – sweaters and shirts – did not disappear in my house was if they were girl-colors. I started buying pink as a defense mechanism to secure my hold on my clothes.
I will have to wait a full year to find out next year’s color. Perhaps then I can go out and buy new clothes. But I have to admit I did not realize my life was missing anything until this recent new-color discovery in my sixth decade of life. Somehow I survived. I believe I will continue to manage fine without a new pink wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment