Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Penalty of Not Exercising

Last night I went to my dance exercise class for the first time in three weeks. I was out of town and did not go to a gym or participate in any meaningful exercise. I took a couple of walks - strolls actually; definitely not power walks. 


From the first stretches and warm up exercises my lack of body movement became evident. I know I should stretch every day, but it does not happen. By the end of the hour and a half class I was exhausted.
There are twenty-somethings in the class as well as women in their thirties, forties, fifties, and me (yes, I am the oldest). I have a feeling missing three weeks of class would not be a problem for the youngsters. They would jump right in without missing a beat.
I realize there are sixty-somethings and older who run marathons and do all kinds of athletic stuff. But I was never into vigorous athletic activity. I now do some bike riding, walk (keeping to flat terrain as much as possible), visit the gym (not as much as I should, but I am trying to maintain a regular schedule), and enjoy my belly dance and Zumba class. Zumba is a recent addition to my workout regimen. It is great exercise, fun, and demanding.
I feel better and look better because of the exercise. Although I have great trouble losing weight (I love food and I love to eat), I have to wonder what my body would look like if I did not exercise. It would not be a pretty sight (not that it’s such a great sight now, but it could be a lot worse).
My goal is to lose weight (isn’t that just about every woman’s goal?) and increase my stamina and energy level. I do not want the body to disintegrate before my mind is ready for my bod to give in to age and lethargy.

No comments:

Post a Comment