Thursday, October 28, 2010

Out of Touch...Out of Mind

I am half way across the country visiting my son, his wife, and my three grandchildren. Number three was born two weeks ago. I am on grandparent duty, attempting to help wherever and whenever I can in a household with a six-year-old first grader, science enthusiast and dinosaur buff (a.k.a. big brother), a three-year-old mini-prima ballerina and drama queen (morphing from little sister to big sister), and baby sister (2 ½ weeks old and very cute).
The change is challenging. My energy level is not what it used to be. Keeping up with a three-year-old and six-year-old is  exhausting. The baby is fine, as long as I am not on the night watch. Grandma needs her sleep, and attempting to wake her during the darkest hours of the night is dangerous business.
Three days into the trip and I am surviving. It is nice to be far (figuratively speaking) from the steady 24/7 news bombardment. Unless a major disaster occurs, I am blissfully unaware of the daily mini-crises swirling around. The stock continues moving up or down without me checking its progress several times a day. 

News commentators constantly tell us what is going on and what it all supposedly means. I have not heard them for a couple of days. I have not listened to the latest political give and take between the numerous political candidates running in the next election. If I miss a few days of the drama, I still will be able to make an intelligent, informed voting decision. Wall Street and Main Street go on without me continuously poring over the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and online business news sources.
 It is a relief to take a vacation from the constant media barrage. Whatever happens in the next couple of weeks, my inattention will not make a difference. 

If more people paid less attention to the talking heads and media mayhem we would all be better off. We need to step back occasionally and put our world – our personal world and the real world – in perspective.
 And so back to diapers, three hour feedings, Candyland and Cat in the Hat games, board books and chapter books, and enjoying time with the family.  There is plenty of time to read about the latest Wall Street antics, financial scandals, and political give and take. They will always be around. The kids will not stay little forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment