Monday, February 10, 2014

Food, Glorious Food

A casado plate - typical Costa Rican lunch.
During my recent trip to Costa Rica I followed an almost-totally-vegan diet. My girlfriend Jane is a vegan. Vegans do not eat any animal products beef, pork, fish, poultry, dairy products, road kill, chocolate covered ants, other insects, etc.

I am not a vegan. I am a foodie. I like most foods, but not all foods. I only like green beans (do not eat black, white, red beans - especially mushy ones). I do not like little round green peas frozen or in a can, mussels (one of hubs favorites), cotton candy (not real food anyway), raw fish, shoo fly pie, pigs stomach (I think I lived in Pennsylvania Dutch country too long), and a few other foodstuffs I cannot remember at the moment.
Fresh sliced fruit, a snack provided on our  kayak
and horseback riding tours.

We ate the same breakfast every day - a hearty blend of grains cereal.

Dinner consisted of a salad with the most wonderfully tasting veggies bought fresh at market, and a fresh fruit salad made with fruits purchased at the local farmers market for dessert. Delicious, nutritious, healthy, very diet-conscious.

No bread. Not a vegan thing, a diet thing.

We ate lunch out because we were doing tourist stuff all day.

We enjoyed leisurely lunches at local cafes. This is where I teetered off the vegan wagon. A casado typical Costa Rican lunch - includes a plate with rice, a green salad, plantains (something like bananas, sliced and fried or baked), beans, and a choice of beef, chicken, or fish.

I presented my beans to Jane.

I dont think I could be a true tico native Costa Rican. They love their beans. Rice and beans is a staple. Eaten everyday, sometimes with every meal.

I ordered fish with my casado. The fish was outstanding local, sliced thin, not too fishy-tasting, and not fried.

A couple of times we ordered veggie sandwiches the only bread consumed all week.

So why did I not continue eating the same healthy way when returning home?

Because I am weak. No will-power. Physically weak too, but that has nothing to do with this discussion

My trained-from-birth body cells craved favorite foods. Faves like chicken wings, a juicy hamburger, and eggs, foods I can prepare at home. And of course ice cream and chocolate.

My girlfriend claims it is all a matter of mind over matter. Anyone can totally change their diet if they want. She and her hub became vegan two years ago and have not looked back.

I am not looking back, but upon returning home eagerly looked forward to tasting beloved foods again.

I could prepare vegan meals at home. But do you realize the number of fixings in vegan recipes? Over the years anytime ingredients in a recipe totaled in the double digits, I moved on. Vegan recipes have lots of ingredients. I enjoy cooking, but am not a gourmet cook. I am a KISS cook Keep it simple, stupid.

I think climate also has something to do with my inability to toe the almost-vegan, diet-conscious, nutritious line now. I left a warm, temperate almost equatorial climate and came home to the polar vortex. Cold veggie and fruit salads, wonderful as they are in warm weather, pale when the body yearns for a comforting bowl of hot soup or a plate of anything heated enough to warm the hands and bathe the face in warm vapors.

And I like variety.

Although not with everything in life.

Next week hub and I celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary.

Do you think we will go out to dinner? 

5 comments:

  1. If you lived in a temperate climate like that, it would make more sense to eat fresh fruit and veggies all the time. I love my beans, I don't deny it. Hubby fixes them from dried and adds garlic, mushrooms and onions. They are wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do try to eat more veggies and fish here in Hawaii, but it's hard to forgo hamburgers and chicken wings completely. Still... we try. As for beans... ummm.... it leaves me a little bloated. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like veggies and grains, but variety is important as well. Enjoy your anniversary celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since when is cotton candy not real food. I enjoyed it once. These days, I'm all weight watchers points. The fruit looks good. No points for fruits. Dianne

    ReplyDelete