Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My New Year Begins With a Big Bang


I spent New Year’s Day in our temporary quarters doing laundry, still without a washer and dryer in our Sandy-impacted-not-yet-ready-for-prime-time-occupancy home.

I was standing at the kitchen counter, folding and separating laundry, and quickly turned to access the washing machine. Too close to the wall separating the stove from the washer/dryer combo, my forehead hit hard against the separation wall. I slowly lowered myself to the floor, uttering a few choice X-rated expletives.

A headache raged for a while, numbed by Tylenol. The following day hub and I boarded a plane and headed west to Colorado for a family vacation. We landed at Denver airport, picked up our rental car and drove a couple of hours into the Rocky Mountains.

My headache exploded once my body spent more than a few minutes at the 9,000+ elevation. A quick trip to the doctor indicated a minor concussion with symptoms aggravated by the altitude.

The worst part of the doctor’s visit was when the nurse made me step on the scale. Fully clothed. I was wearing boots, jeans, heavy sweater…already feeling miserable, that experience completed my depression.

Following oxygen therapy and instructions to take it easy (like I could do anything else the way my body felt?!), I drifted through the rest of the vacation in an altitude-generated, concussion-induced fog.

I began feeling OK the day before we left. We flew home and for the first time in a week I was once again at sea level. My body reacted quickly, thanking me for bringing it back to a safer, securer, lower atmosphere.

I woke up this morning feeling quite normal for the first time in days. And, to make things totally agreeable once again, our new washer and dryer was delivered and installed this morning. Who would have thought I could get so excited about doing laundry?!

I doubt I will be this energized and excited about doing laundry again!
Now our home is, once again, our full-time, live-in, new normal dwelling.

Our new washer/dryer combo - our old front-loader washer has been replaced with a top-loader.
The search, shopping and decision-making about what to buy was a long, agonizing and hopefully successful process.
Time will tell. 
And the vacation? It is always awesome to be with the kids and grandkids. Even when not feeling 100%. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. Sorry to hear about that bump on the head. But it is exciting to hear that life is returning to some semblance of normal for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness what nasty baggage to take on vacation. Glad you at least had one good day.
    Yipee for the return to normal. Mercy it has been a long time. You must be exhausted from living upside down so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about you banging your head!! Glad all is OK now. Really? you are excited about appliances!!! Man you must have really hit your head!!! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! And as you say, you were surrounded by loved ones, even if you didn't feel all that well. When I step on the scales at the doctor's office, I've removed my shoes, everything in my pockets, and any coat or vest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home, and glad to hear you're feeling better closer to sea level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm late catching up with your posts, but glad to hear your concussion has resolved itself and your washer/dryer situation as well. May the rest of the year be far less bumpy!

    ReplyDelete