It is time for that age-old, end-of-one-year-beginning-of-the-next tradition – New Year’s Resolutions.
The tradition of making New Year’s resolutions reaches back to ancient times. The Babylonians probably started the practice. People made promises to get in the good graces of the gods resolving, for instance, to pay off debts and return borrowed property such as farm equipment.
My resolutions are always the same and result in limited success. I transformed the resolutions tradition and now
fabricate make predictions for the
Before posting 2013 prognostications, a review of my 2012 forecasting abilities (not very good, actually) is necessary.
The plus or minus sign before each item indicates whether my predictions were right (+) or wrong (-).
- Stock market volatility was not as dramatic as in previous years. There is still one trading day remaining in 2012. The stock market closed Friday, December 28th at 12,938.11, a 5.90% rise. I predicted a 13,438 close for the year and a 10% increase.
+ There was more than one financial scandal this year. No one really cares, except maybe those involved.
+ Our troops are still fighting in Afghanistan.
+ Mitt Romney was the Republican Presidential candidate. He was about the only one enthusiastic about his candidacy. Although if we are to believe his son, even Mitt was not that enthusiastic.
- Christie was NOT the Republican VP candidate….
+ The Republicans could not get their act together and lost the election…
- A more moderate Republican base has not materialized. Unfortunately.
+ The unemployment rate dropped to 7.7% (end of November) from 8.5% December 2011. An anemic recovery at best.
+ The housing market and new construction have rebounded.
- Neither Newt Gingrich (wife #3) or Rush Limbaugh (married four times) divorced this year.
- Lady Gaga broke up with her Lancaster-born boyfriend and did not buy a home in southcentral PA.
- Two and a Half Men is still on the air, although Ashton Kutscher is not nearly as obnoxious as Charlie Sheen. But the show is still insufferable.
+ I guess the Kardashians are still in the news. I work at avoiding the celebrity gossip. Thankfully there is no more Jersey Shore (which I never watched) and who cares about Snooki?
- My prediction about unpacking boxes around the house never materialized. One year later there are more boxes to unpack than a year earlier. The culprit was
Hurricane post-tropical storm Sandy. In
preparation for Sandy’s arrival items on bottom shelves on the first floor of
the house were boxed and stored. Who
needs all that stuff anyway!?
+ and - We had a mild winter, but I did not predict the June derecho or Sandy non-hurricane that hit the East coast this year.
- Of course I did not win any $$ in the lottery.
Thinking about the year that was and trying to remember current events, I realized occasions and incidents that make the headlines and get their Andy Warhol fifteen minutes of fame are often quickly forgotten.
Here are some of the events of 2012 most of us have probably already forgotten–
The ‘pink slime’ scandal (faux food product made from beef remnants following slaughter).
The rise and fall of Apple’s Map ap.
In the category of better late than never - Augusta National Golf Club finally admitted its first two women members.
The hype and fizzle of the Facebook IPO.
The rumors, gossip, innuendo and tales of former teammates about drug use ultimately forced Lance Armstrong to relinquish his Tour de France and lots of other cycling medals. His reputation took a big hit too.
Twinkies are almost history. Hostess Brands declared bankruptcy and closed all factories. Its products (including Twinkies) and production facilities are for sale. The saga continues…
How many of us will remember a couple of years from now that Romney’s running mate was Wisconsin representative Paul Ryan?
The world did NOT end on December 21st.
The London Olympics.
Penn State, Paterno, Sandusky…
CIA Director Petraeus’ sexual improprieties.
We bid a sad goodbye to the radio show ‘Car Talk,’ which stopped producing new shows in September.
And 2012 winds down…
Next post – my 2013 Predictions!